Six suspected robbers were on Monday evening gunned down in Nakuru after a planned robbery was foiled by the Special Service Unit.
The officers, who are drawn from Nairobi, and are under the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) teamed up with Kenya Police for the operation.
Speaking to journalists, Nakuru County Criminal Investigations Officer (CCIO) Anthony Sunguti said that the gang had planned to conduct a robbery within one of the local social places.
"We received information that the gang intended to rob a social place within Nakuru town at gunpoint. We planned a counter-attack which was greatly suspect. Six suspects were fatally shot while two others escaped with gun wounds," said Sungai.
Sunguti who led the operation alongside Nakuru East Sub County Police Commander Elena Kabukuru said that the gunmen were flagged down while in a Toyota Probox but declined to stop.
- 1 It's all systems go in fierce battle for two Nakuru ward seats
- 2 Court rules MP acquired prime land through fraud
- 3 Woman nursing severe burns after hot porridge attack
- 4 Suspect arrested, two escape after Nakuru town fruit joint robbery
"A high-speed chase ensued until they were cornered at the Nyahururu interchange along the Nakuru-Nairobi Highway. They shot at the police before their vehicle plunged into a ditch," he said.
The shooting was intense stopping activities along the highway as the residents of Section 58 Estate fled for safety.
One of the suspects was shot dead inside the vehicle as his accomplices fled on foot.
Five other suspects were shot dead in different directions within a one kilometre radius from whom firearms and homemade guns were recovered.
A second suspect was killed a hundred metres along Oginga Odinga Avenue while another was shot dead near Platinumz Lounge. The fourth suspect was killed near Nairobi Women's Hospital while another was killed along the Nakuru-Nyahururu Highway.
The sixth suspect who had managed to escape was rounded up within Crater Primary School grounds where he had taken cover and was shot dead after a fire exchange with the police.
No officer was injured as two suspects managed to escape.
"We recovered a Barreta pistol, a Tokarev pistol, a Revolver loaded with 5 rounds 0.38mm calibre ammunition, three homemade pistols, 10 rounds 9mm calibre bullets, a police walkie talkie and a pair of handcuffs. Bodies have been removed to Nakuru municipal mortuary," said Sunguti.
He added that investigations had been launched as he revealed that the handcuffs and the walkie talkie found with the suspects may have been stolen from the police in unknown areas.
"The identity of the suspects is yet to be established. This was a daring attack and we are glad our officers have safely succeeded in the operation. The suspects are part of an organized criminal gang which has been on our radar for some time," he said.
Sunguti called on Kenyans to cooperate with the police in helping them track down other members of the criminal gang.
The incident comes at a time the police have intensified their crackdown on criminal gangs terrorising residents in different estates of Nakuru.