Pokot leaders hail Uhuru for a military appointment
By Irisheel Shanzu | May 3rd 2020
West Pokot County leaders and locals have lauded President Uhuru Kenyatta for appointing Maj-Gen Jimson Longiro Kenya Navy commander.
They said it was the first time in history for a military man from the community to rise to such a high rank in the Kenya Defence Forces (KDF). Led by Governor John Lonyangapuo (pictured), the leaders said Uhuru had done a befitting thing.
Former West Pokot Governor Simon Kachapin described Longiro as a disciplined officer who rose through the ranks thanks to his discipline.
Pokot South MP David Pkosing said the appointment was a sign of trust professionals from the community enjoy in the country.
A resident, Kipsang Pargweto, said the community had been marginalised for decades in military appointments, terming the post timely. Maj-Gen Longiro was born and raised in Chepinat-Chepkono village in Pokot South Sub-county.
Ruto backs bid to scrap degree rule for MCAs and MPs
- Museveni locks down Uganda for 42 days, revises curfew
By Betty Njeru
- Unions issue 14-day strike notice over SRC freeze in pay hikes
By Brian Otieno
- Tuju to walk 52 kilometres from Karen to Kijabe Hospital
- President Uhuru Kenyatta on two-day state visit to Turkey
- Nyanza: Rush to beat 7pm curfew, businesses closed