Kenya Power lists estates to suffer outage in Nairobi after sub-station floods
By Fred Kagonye | May 14th 2021
Residents living in over 10 estates in Nairobi will be in darkness for long hours following heavy rains experienced in the City on Thursday, May 13.
According to a statement by Kenya Power, people living in Nairobi West, South C, parts of Lang’ata, parts of Mbagathi way, Dam estate, Civil Servants’ Estate, Five Star Estate, parts of Lower Hill and environs will experience a power outage.
In a statement posted on social media, Kenya Power said the outage is as a result of flooding in its Nairobi West substation after the Nairobi dam burst its banks.
Kenya Power indicated that they switched off power supply to the affected areas as a precautionary measure.
The company's engineer Charles Mwaura has, however, assured the affected residents that their team will restore power by the end of today [May 14].
Since Thursday night, photos of submerged buildings and vehicles reportedly from the affected estates have emerged on Twitter.
The Kenya Meteorological Department has announced that rainfall will reduce between Friday, May 15 and Saturday, May 16.
On Thursday alone, seven people were killed in separate estates in Nairobi following a heavy downpour.
Four bodies of bodaboda riders were recovered in Kibra while three other people were killed in Mukuru Kwa Reuben.
Chepkoech, Kiyeng through to steeplechase final as Korir disqualified in 400m men heats
- Why Harold didn’t make it to the Olympics
By Peter Theuri
- It’s a day of ups and downs for Kenya at Olympic Stadium
- No Kenyans in 800m finals as Moraa misses mark in semi-finals
Missing student found dead at university grounds
- Raila agrees to share political party billions with Wiper, other parties
- Unknown people were tracking Wycliffe Omwenga
- Fanfare as Raila meets musicians
By Betty Njeru
- Letter from Ithanga: Murang’a’s unexploited agricultural Canaan
By XN Iraki
- The four options for Kalonzo in 2022 succession