Mombasa County sets aside Sh70 million for emergency
By Kenneth Kwama | June 22nd 2015
Mombasa county government has set aside a provisional Sh70 million to cater for emergencies. Speaking at the Mombasa Beach Hotel last week, Finance County Executive Hazel Koitaba said that an emergency disaster response team was in place and ready to respond to adverse situations.
Koitaba said that the county government had put in place measures to ensure that floodwater does not cause havoc in Mombasa and its surroundings.
''We are suffering today because of poor drainage brought about by haphazard planning, which was done by past town regimes,'' she said.
She noted that the local authority had started planning changes to structures that are currently obstructing natural water passage in reference to the recent floods in the coastal town.
Justice Ouko village known for breeding top legal minds
- Parents worry long holidays will expose learners to harm
- Southern Bypass crash victim identified
By Mate Tongola
- Missing Kitengela man’s family says kin was a businessman
- Ruto allies dismiss BBI as MPs take a vote on the Bill
- SRC approves new allowances for regional heads, chiefs
By Allan Mungai