Keeping kids interested food is tricky enough but a plant-based diet can prove even more challenging. Here are some simple meat-free recipes that will be a hit with the little ones:
- Mac and ‘Cheese’
Blend boiled potatoes, carrots and onions with raw cashews, coconut milk, lemon juice and nutritional yeast. Add seasoning to taste and mix into cooked pasta. For added crunch, you can sprinkle breadcrumbs over it and bake.
- Sweet potato and black bean burger
Mix mashed sweet potato, rice, black beans, onions and seasoning. Mold and leave in the fridge to set then bake or fry. Serve in a bun with plantain chips for an extra sweet touch.
- Avocado mousse
Blend a ripe avocado until smooth. Mix cocoa powder and coconut milk then add to avocado and mix well. Add honey to taste then chill in fridge before serving.
- Beware, the pancreas is a 'nasty, unforgiving organ'
- Act globally to avert climate driven child deaths
- Pain for Kenyans food, fuel prices hit five-year high
- Tax waiver on imported maize to reduce the price of unga
- Fluffy pancakes and blueberry toppings
For this you will only need basically wheat flour, a little sugar and some water. Whisk well and use a nonstick pan to ensure they are evenly cooked. Serve with blueberry toppings to give the meal some colour and flavor.