ALSO READ: 6 easy DIY masks for natural hair
- Gel nail polish has been around for a long time but only gained popularity in the last 10 years.
- The gel polish are quick, practically bulletproof, and the shiny, glossy color won't budge for at least two weeks. This is why it has gained popularity.
However, like there are two sides of a coin, there is a negative side of the gel polish that no one will ever tell you about.
- Gel polish can be cancerous. Gel manicures are cured by UV rays by the use of UV lamp. These UV rays are known primarily for their role in photo aging of the skin (think: sun spots and wrinkles). They also contribute to skin cancer. "UVA irradiance or strength emitted by nail lamps whether fluorescent or LED is at least four times stronger than UVA from normal sunlight," Adigun, a board-certified dermatologist who specializes in nail disorders, general dermatology, and cosmetic dermatology says.
- The removal of them is a little harmful as you need to soak them in pure acetone which will dry the fingers a lot.
- Your nails could require up to 6 weeks recovering completely if you ever want to go back to the normal polish. That’s a long time in a woman’s nail life.
- Nails breakage can apparently be more painful as the nail breaks at a much higher point.
- Sometimes, from wrong procedures, you might get some infections.
- If you put gel polish more than seven or eight times in a row, without giving time for the nail to “rest”, it may lead to extreme damage of the nail plate, and that is something that can be even more costly and that you want to avoid!