A quadruplet pregnancy is always high-risk and requires careful planning. Early delivery by elective caesarean is common practice to prevent an emergency situation - such as the mother going into labour far from medical help.
ALSO READ: Why you should get your baby out of your bed
Some of the risks to the mother include;
• Gestational diabetes
• Subsequent fertility issues
The risks to the children are
• Low birth weight
• Breathing difficulties
• Premature birth
How rare are quadruplets?
• Rates of triplet and higher order births in Europe range from 0.1 to 1.5 per 1,000 women
• In Western countries multiple births have increased due to fertility treatment.
• Quadruplets are still very rare. One study found 12 quads out of 2.5 million births in low and middle-income countries.
• Some African countries have higher twinning rates. Benin has the highest incidence of twins in the world, and the Yoruba in Nigeria are also more likely to have twins.
ALSO READ: The role of a dad in the delivery room