Governor Anyang’ Nyong’o is waiting with bated breath as MCAs return to make a final decision on the controversial Sh10.4 billion budget they rejected a fortnight ago.
Yesterday, the stalemate took a fresh twist after the MCAs claimed the governor had not met most of their demands.
This is despite spirited attempts by the executive to convince the members to endorse the document whose provisions have irked ward reps.
The MCAs are demanding Sh45 million per ward and have accused the executive of skewed allocation.
Although some of the MCAs claim the stalemate is as a result of vested interests by some of their colleagues, some of them claim the executive has ignored their requests.
Yesterday, Deputy Speaker Roy Samo said their requests had not been factored in the amendments that the executive brought to the assembly.
“We have had issues of pending bills, opening balances as well as list of donor-funded projects. The executive is yet to furnish us with the documents,” said Samo.
His comments were shared by South West Kisumu Ward MCA Erick Agola who expressed optimism that they will reach an agreement with the county executive.
The Standard has established that on Tuesday, Nyong’o and members of his Cabinet met with the MCAs in a bid to convince them to endorse the document.
And yesterday, the assembly adjourned its sittings with an aim of continuing with discussions with the executive over the stalemate.
An MCA who attended the meeting but sought anonymity said the MCAs are not happy with the Sh20 million allocation per ward that the executive is proposing.
“It is annoying that some wards have been allotted Sh100 million while others have received only Sh4 million,” said the MCA.
The ward reps are embroiled in a blame game even as they remain adamant that they will only endorse the budget after their demands on ward projects are met.
Last week, some MCAs accused some of their colleagues of plotting to frustrate Nyong’o and bring his administration to its knees.
A heated debate ensued during proceedings after Budget Committee Chairperson Judith Ogaga told the assembly that the budget report was not ready and that some wards had not submitted their list of projects.
The development sharply divided the assembly, with Nyalenda B MCA Seth Olale vowing to invite the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission to investigate his colleagues for pocketing allowances for a special sitting despite not doing anything.
With the stalemate, county workers may have to wait longer for their salaries.
And with the county workers’ salaries at stake, Director of Communication Aloice Ager claimed the impasse was to blame for the delay in payment of the July salaries.
According to Ager, the county government has money carried forward from the previous financial year, which can be used to pay the workers, but their hands are tied following the impasse.
“There is no cause for alarm. Even the governor has not been paid. Not even I, but we are optimistic that the budget issue will be sorted and the salaries paid,” said Ager.
Do not miss out on the latest news. Join the Standard Digital Telegram channel HERE.