Wedding called-off after bride requests for more time

The would-be couple Nelly and Amos.

A deserted Compound and empty seats welcome you to Kapsoyo AGC, the venue of an aborted wedding that took the internet by storm Saturday morning.

A yet-to-be-erected tent and red carpet dumped by the door at the Church in Bomet Central are the only signs of the plans for a wedding.

According to a wedding invite seen by The Standard Nelly and Amos were scheduled to tie the knot at the Church on Saturday, December 9.

Kapsoyo AGC Church Pastor Clement Chalulot said it was unfortunate the wedding was called off at the last minute.

Pastor Chalulot said things went south Friday morning when the presiding Reverend received a message from the bride that she needed more time to decide to formalise their marriage with the groom.

“The communication from the presiding reverend that the bride had changed her mind halted everything and brought the entire plans to a halt,” said Pastor Chalulot.

He said the planning committee which was putting the final touches on preparation was called to a meeting and everything came to a standstill.

The would-be venue of the wedding.

Chalulot said attempts to salvage the situation through mediation did not bore any fruits and they were forced to send out a message to guests to call off all the plans.

“Last evening, we sent out messages calling off the event,” he added.

The pastor who also acted as a chairman of the planning committee for the wedding said they started getting suspicious when the bride failed to send her copy of ID for processing of marriage certificate.

He said their attempts to pursue her for the documents failed until when she sent the message asking for more time.

“It became a toll order getting her documents and it later down to us that the bride had changed her mind,” he added.

Chalulot said the family of the groom had met his partner their bargain in preparation for the wedding including paying part of the bride prize agreed.

“The family had paid the bride prize already and were willing to pay clear it after the wedding,” he said.

Chalulot said all was not lost as negotiations had been started to reconcile the two parties and have the wedding proceed in future.

As the events unfolded, villagers at Kapsoyo were partying after the planning committee was forced to distribute milk that had been bought in readiness for the wedding party.

One of the planning committee members said they had to dispose of the milk to avoid going to waste.

“We made an order and paid for the milk early and it was delivered and we had no option but to distribute them to neighbours,” said the committee members who did not want to be named.

A family member of the groom who spoke to The Standard said they were yet to get clear communication from the bride's family.

An invitation card for the wedding.

“We have sent a Representative to the family of the bride to get the real situation before making any comment. All we can tell you at the moment is that we are sad the event did not go down despite the time and resources we have put into it,” said the family member.

Attempts to speak to the groom were futile as she was holed up in a meeting with the family and church leaders.

A close buddy of the groom Collins Too told The Standard of how he meets the bride.

Too who also double up as a workmate of the groom said he had his bride during a wedding and fell in love.

Too said they were happy for his friend that he would walk down the aisles at last after years of dating.

“I don’t want to cheat you, as friends we did not suspect anything would go wrong,” he added.

Too added that they were optimistic everything would go down well.

“Three days to the wedding Amos was upbeat and told us of his plans to travel outside to a neighbouring country for their honeymoon,” he added.