Taxpayers to pay Sh7m over NTSA wrangles

A court case filed by a sacked National Transport Safety Authority (NTSA) director has revealed deep rot at the agency.

Documents show that Transport Principal Secretary John Mosonik wrote to NTSA Director General Meja Mwangi that there were complaints that enforcement officers were involved in a racket of corrupt activities.

The case has also brought to the fore bitter divisions among top managers.

SEE ALSO :Proposed law seeks to put rail transport under NTSA

The letter, filed in court proceedings, read that NTSA officers were demanding bribes from operators whose vehicles were impounded during random checks.

In the letter dated July 28 2015, Mosonik ordered Meja to investigate and give a feedback on graft allegations.

It was also alleged that saccos which had been suspended from operation for breaking traffic regulations would part with bribes to get favourable reports that would allow them back on the road without making any changes.

Alcoblow tests

After Mosonik’s letter, Director of Road Safety Mathew Munyao was kicked out unceremoniously.

However, he will now walk away with Sh7 million as compensation for unfair termination.

The NTSA boss was also required to give a report on what measures the would take to end complaints received by the ministry on NTSA officers and how they carried out the alcoblow tests and crackdowns.

In his reply, Munyao said he was not directly involved in supervision of the officers. He asserted that the deputy director, Enforcement and Accident Investigation, and, the Enforcement and Operations manager, as well as, Field supervisors were in charge of operations.

He said at least 10 cases of attempted bribery had been documented.

On the allegation of receiving or demanding money from suspended Saccos, Munyao stated the allegations were baseless in view of suspended operators on account of various reasons.

The Transport and Safety Committee chaired by the Director General, he replied,  was in charge of decision making and that he did not personally interact with suspended operators.

An ad hoc committee met on August 10, 2015 and found the allegations raised by the PS were baseless.

However, in the process, the committee came up with fresh allegations against Munyao, among them abuse of office, insubordination and absenteeism.

It was claimed he made false imprest, failed to adhere to the chain of command and bullying his juniors.

He was required to reply to the allegations within 30 days in which he was also sent on compulsory leave.

After several meetings and his replies, Munyao, on September 25 , 2015 was sacked.

After challenging the decision before the Employment and Labour Relations Court, Justice Byrum Onyaga found that he was illegally sacked.

The judge ruled that Muyao be reinstated to his position until his term of service is expired.

Register to advertise your products & services on our classifieds website Digger.co.ke and enjoy one month subscription free of charge and 3 free ads on the Standard newspaper.

National Transport Safety AuthorityNTSAJohn MosonikTransportNTSA Director General Meja