NAIROBI: A new team of detectives from the Directorate of Criminal Investigation headquarters has taken over the case in which a man is accused of sedating and raping women in a clinic in Githurai, Nairobi.
The team from the Serious Crimes Unit took over the file from their Kasarani counterparts as they started to collect evidence on the allegations on Mugo wa Wairimu, who authorities say is not a qualified gynaecologist.
Head of the Unit John Kariuki assured Kenyans of a thorough and professional investigation into the saga as he urged for patience. “If it is Mugo, we will get him at the right time. For now, we are gathering all needed evidence to be able to move the case forward,” said Mr Kariuki.
He said they are investigating several allegations including rape and urged any victim who had been attended at the clinic and was abused to report to his office at Mazingira Building along Kiambu Road.
“Let anyone with credible information regarding this saga come forward. We will protect him or her,” said Kariuki.
Mugo has been accused of illegally operating clinics in Githurai 44 and Zimmerman in Nairobi, where he allegedly sedated and raped some of his patients.
Officials handling the case said police had written to the University of Nairobi, which confirmed Mugo graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing. The development brought a new twist to the saga, given that major medical associations including that of nursing denounced him, saying he was not their member.
“He can be a graduate in Nursing but what we know is that he is not registered and his clinic has not been certified by authorities to render services as per the law,” said Kenya Medical and Dentist Practitioners’ official Were Onyino.
The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) had ordered police to investigate and forward Mugo’s file to his office for action. “You are hereby directed by the DPP to have the said investigations completed speedily and expeditiously and the file submitted for perusal and directions,” said acting deputy DPP Nicholas Mutuku.
Inspector General of police Joseph Boinnet said investigations into the issue had commenced.
The decision to have a new team take over the case was reached at after complaints emerged that detectives at Kasarani had no capacity to handle the case or did not have the zeal to pursue it because they had been “compromised”.
The new team has so far obtained a copy of the video that was aired by Citizen TV showing a man believed to be Mugo sedating and raping a woman lying on a bed in his clinic.
The team was reviewing the video to help them know the way forward in the case that has attracted public outcry. Armed police were still manning Mugo’s clinic after a mob tried to attack and burn it on Sunday night.
Do not miss out on the latest news. Join the Standard Digital Telegram channel HERE.