KPL heading for the wire


All the top teams won their matches as the Kenyan Premier League (KPL) title chase looks set to go to their wire.

Gor Mahia and champions Tusker struggled against their opponents before registering slim 1-0 victories that ensured they maintained their positions on the log.

Defending Kenyan Premier League (KPL) champions Tusker stayed on top for another week stopping a stubborn Muhoroni Youth side 1-0  at the Moi International Sports Centre, Kasarani.

The visitors had looked determined to pick a point from their opponents with good play in the first half. The Alfred Imonje boys defended well in the entire first half but the brewers also proved to be too wasteful.

The goal which made all the difference for Tusker was scored by David Ochieng’ in the 50th minute.

Muhoroni’s Collins Netto wasted a last minute effort that would have allowed the visitors to pick a crucial point away when he shot out with only the goalkeeper to beat.

At City Stadium, Gor were made to sweat before running away with a 1-0 win over Karuturi Sports in the second match at the venue.

Ugandan import Dan Sserunkuma scored for Gor in the 73rd minute from the penalty spot.

The win ensures that Gor stay in second position as AFC Leopards remain third after stopping Ulinzi Stars 2-1 at Mumias Complex.

In another match played at City Stadium, former KPL  champions Mathare United may have condemned Oserian to relegation with a 1-0 win.

Athman Mbuki’s 24th minute goal made all the difference as United picked all three points at home.

Under pressure to win and ensure they remained in top flight next season, Oserian created plenty of chances in the first half, but were let down by poor finishing.

The loss confines Oserian to 15th spot and need a miracle to survive relegation with three matches to the end of the season.

At Hope Centre, Nairobi City Stars won their first match since the second leg kicked off with a 1-0 win over visiting KCB. After a barren first half, the home side came back a more determined side and were soon ahead with a Francis Thairu effort in the 60th minute.