Public Health Director Dr Francis Kuria on Tuesday refused
to be drawn into a notice on the ban on alcohol consumption in public.
The draft document had been widely shared on social media
but Dr Kuria said it does not have a legal notice number.
“We cannot talk about a notice that has no legal notice number.
It's a draft that should be under the office of the AG.
“Once it becomes a legal document then we can discuss it
further,” he said.
The draft states that alcoholic drinks will not be sold to
sit-in customers in restaurants and anyone who goes against that will have
committed an offense.
It further states that any business establishment that sells
alcohol shall operate between 9am and 7.30pm.
The draft also states that no one should consume any
alcoholic drink in a public space.
Despite the government instructing all bars to remain
closed, some have been in operation, a move CS Health Kagwe said will
contribute to the surge in Covid-19 cases.
All bars found in operation risk losing their licenses for
good and the owners will face the full force of the law.
This comes as the country recorded 397 cases, taking the
national tally to 14168.
Out of the 397, 236 are male and 161 are females.
Kenya’s death toll also rose to 250 after 12 more patients
succumbed to the virus.
On a more positive note, 642 were discharged.