Nandi Women Rep hopeful Dr. Tecla Tum capitalized on incumbent's absence during DP Ruto's visit
By Gideon Kiprop | February 5th 2017
Nandi County Women Rep hopeful Dr. Tecla Tum last week minted political advantage from the absence of incumbent County Women Representative Zipporah Kering during a visit by Deputy President William Ruto in Nandi County.
Dr. Tum positioned herself well behind the Deputy President in the convoy of vehicles during Ruto's tour in the county to mobilize residents to register as voters.To her advantage, the women Rep aspirant caught the eye of the Deputy President.
In the first stop at Serem in Aldai constituency, the Deputy President mistakenly introduced Dr. Tum as the County Women Representative but realized that he had made an error.Mr. Ruto later on realized the mistake and corrected it.
During the second and third stopovers in Kobujoi and Kaptumo respectively, Ruto questioned the absence of Mrs. Kering before he went ahead to recognize the presence of Dr.Tum.
"Where is the current women rep I only see this woman here.....Eeh...Dr. Tecla Tum," said Ruto, "Tell her(Incumbent) to seek votes if she still wants to defend this seat," added Ruto.
Dr. Tum capitalized from the publicity during Mr. Ruto's visit to fire a fresh wave of the political tussle in the county in her bid to occupy the higher office.
She has since rolled out a massive voter listing drive in the county as part of her strategy in preparations to challenge the incumbent in the forthcoming polls.
Other aspirants eyeing the seat include Theresa Chepkwony, Mary Lucy Kurgat, Esther Letting and Dr. Bernadette Tiony among others.
Steeplechase 41-year rule gone in a flash
- Brewer, not national Olympics body, owns 'Team Kenya'
- Silver lining for Obiri once again as Hassan breaks Kenyans hearts
- Netherland’s Hassan beats Obiri to 5,000m gold in Tokyo
Missing student found dead at university grounds
- Raila agrees to share political party billions with Wiper, other parties
- Unknown people were tracking Wycliffe Omwenga
- Fanfare as Raila meets musicians
By Betty Njeru
- Letter from Ithanga: Murang’a’s unexploited agricultural Canaan
By XN Iraki
- The four options for Kalonzo in 2022 succession