×
App Icon
The Standard e-Paper
Informed Minds Prefer The Standard
★★★★ - on Play Store
Download Now

Ecuador will play at World Cup after FIFA reject Chile complaint that Ecuador fielded an ineligible player

Vocalize Pre-Player Loader

Audio By Vocalize

 March 29, 2022 Ecuador's Byron Castillo in action with Argentina's Nicolas Gonzalez Pool via REUTERS

Ecuador will play at the 2022 World Cup after FIFA dismissed Chile's claims that they had fielded an ineligible player in the qualifiers, world soccer's governing body said on Friday (Jun 10).

The Chilean Football Federation last month said it had proof that Ecuador's Byron Castillo was born in Tumaco, Colombia in 1995, and not in the Ecuadorean city of General Villamil Playas in 1998 as stated on his official documents.

Premium Article

Get Full Access for Ksh299/Week.

Fact-first reporting that puts you at the heart of the newsroom. Subscribe for full access.
Continue Reading  →
What you get
  • Unlimited access to all premium content
  • Ad-free browsing experience
  • Mobile-optimised reading
  • Weekly newsletters & digests
Pay via
M - PESA
VISA
Airtel Money
Secure Payments Kenya's most trusted newsroom since 1902
By Sammy Mose 11 hrs ago
Sports
Kirimi powers to glory at VetLab Club event
Sports
Strathmore Swords bounce back to slice Eldonets in league battle
Sports
K'Ogalo silence Muranga Seal to move one win away from title
By AFP 13 hrs ago
Sports
African stars in Europe: Antoine Semenyo wins it for City