Fiji rugby players arrested for breaching coronavirus isolation
Two Fiji rugby players have been arrested for ignoring the Pacific nation’s coronavirus self-isolation rules, with local authorities saying their “irresponsible behaviour” would be reported to rugby’s world governing body.
The two men have not been publicly identified but the Fiji Rugby Union confirmed they were professionals and media reported them variously to be sevens players and internationals.
The news brought an emotional response from Simon Raiwalui, who works for Fiji Rugby with the title of high-performance general manager.
Fiji are the Olympic sevens champions and were third in the current world series before it was put on hold because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Prime Minister Frank Bainimarama accused the players of putting “the whole of Fiji at risk”.
He said one player, who arrived from Singapore, “had a high risk of exposure to the virus while overseas” and then escaped from isolation in a Fiji hospital.
“Unlucky for him, he couldn’t step his way past our Fiji police force. He has been arrested and is in isolation at Nadi hospital,” Bainimarama said.
The Fiji Rugby Union would take “appropriate disciplinary actions against the professional rugby players, including reporting this highly irresponsible behaviour to their clubs and World Rugby,” chief executive John O’Connor said.
“The Fiji rugby family wants to put on record our great disappointment at the irresponsible behaviour of these two players putting their families and other Fijians at risk.
“Such irresponsible behaviour is totally unacceptable, and we support the actions of the police in arresting these two players and any further action taken against them.”
Raiwalui echoed the sentiment on Facebook.
- Dortmund's Sancho, Akanji fined for getting haircuts without face masksFootball 16 hours ago
- Solskjaer talks up Man Utd mentality ahead of Spurs matchFootball 16 hours ago
- NBA legend Jordan donating sh10 billion to social justice groupsBasketball 13 hours ago
- Coronavirus restrictions have a knee on the neck of the sportGolf 1 day ago
- Southampton forward Djenepo aiming to be better than Sadio ManePremier League 2 days ago
- Top 10 boxers of all time unveiled as Mike Tyson fails to make star-studded listBoxing 2 days ago
- Man City set for lengthy UEFA ban appeal - leading to Premier League confusionPremier League 2 days ago