Athletics Kenya names the national team to Africa Cross Country Championships in Togo
Athletics Kenya on Saturday named the national team to Africa Cross Country Championships set for Lome, Togo, on April 8. The team will report St Marks Teachers Training College in Kigari, Embu, on March 22 and leave for Togo on April 6.
Kibiwott Kandie and Sheila Chelangat won the senior races at the lush green and well-manicured Ngong Racecourse.
Kandie of Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) won men's 10km race in 29:57.7 ahead of race favourite Geoffrey Kamworor (30:05.5) of National Police Service and Central Rift’s Nicholas Kimeli (30:12.0).
Kamworor, a two-time world cross country champion, dictated the proceedings as Kandie stuck with the chasing pack. He, however, ran out of gas in the final stretch as Kandie employed an electric pace to win the race.
It was a sweet victory for KDF, who had never tested win since 2003 when John Korir won the signature race.
“I had prepared well for the race. It is unfortunate Kamworor lacked the energy in the final bend, but it doesn’t matter now. I am glad to make the national team for the first time," said Kandie, who is a two-time KDF cross country champion.
Chelangat of police staged a brilliant show to win the women’s 10km race in 34 minutes and 34.9 seconds. World cross country champion Hellen Obiri of KDF won the title last year, but a back injury ruled her out.
Commonwealth Games 10,000m silver medalist Stacy Ndiwa of police settled for second spot in 34:40.4.
Kenya Defence Forces champion Joyce Chepkemoi clocked 34:48.8 for third place as Immaculate Anyango of South Rift came fourth in 34:58.3.
Kamworor and Chelangat were not included in the Africa cross country team.
In women’s under-20 contest, South Rift’s Maurine Cherotich won in 20:14.9 with her teammate Edna Jebitok (20:24.8) returning second as Central Rift’s Agnes Jebet came third in 20:35.4.
Beatrice Chebet, the 2019 world cross country under-20 champion and a fresh graduate at the senior ranks, finished fifth in 35:00.1.
- Dortmund's Sancho, Akanji fined for getting haircuts without face masksFootball 16 hours ago
- Solskjaer talks up Man Utd mentality ahead of Spurs matchFootball 16 hours ago
- NBA legend Jordan donating sh10 billion to social justice groupsBasketball 13 hours ago
- Coronavirus restrictions have a knee on the neck of the sportGolf 1 day ago
- Southampton forward Djenepo aiming to be better than Sadio ManePremier League 2 days ago
- Top 10 boxers of all time unveiled as Mike Tyson fails to make star-studded listBoxing 2 days ago
- Man City set for lengthy UEFA ban appeal - leading to Premier League confusionPremier League 2 days ago