Kenya team to train in Egypt ahead of Davis Cup
Kenya’s tennis team will pitch camp in Egypt for three weeks ahead of their Davis Cup Group II play-off match against Indonesia in Jakarta on March 6 and 7.
Wanjiru Karani, Tennis Kenya secretary-general, said the team comprising head coach Rosemary Owino, Ismael Changawa, Ibrahim Kibet, Kevin Cheruiyot are camping in the beaches of Sharm el-Sheikh as they prepare for Futures tournament in Egypt.
“The Futures are usually a high-level tournament with top-ranked players. It will be a good ground to expose and gauge our players,” Karani said on Thursday. “The focus for the players will not be to win but it would be rewarding if they powered through to the last week, gaining enough points for ranking and also using the tourney as a training session for Davis Cup playoffs,” Karani added.
The winner between Kenya and Indonesia will secure a slot in the Davis Cup Group II proper. Owino was happy with the plans for the team training. “It is a new assignment for the team and we hope to soak up the pressure and deliver. Preparations have started for Davis Cup 2020,” Owino said.
Kenya is also focused on competing at the Africa Junior Championship (AJC) in Pretoria, South Africa from February 10-16, with Derrick Ominde, Ryan Randiek and Kean Shar in the boys’ category and Angela Okutoyi, Roselida Asumwa and Alicia Owegi in the girls’ cadre.
The team leaves today for Pretoria. “This calibre of competition has very stiff challenge. We will look forward to battle our opponents. We are in good shape to take up the challenge and face anyone,” said Roselida.
- Bournemouth player tests positive for COVID-19Premier League 1 day ago
- MLS 'exploring scenarios' for possible return to actionFootball 2 days ago
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic suffers potential career-ending injury – reportsGossip & Rumours 10 hours ago
- Bundesliga stat suggests home advantage has disappeared behind closed doors Football 7 hours ago
- Van Persie recalls being slapped by ex-Man United boss Van GaalFootball 1 day ago
- Gym closures force Kenyan sports champions to train by roadsideAthletics 11 hours ago
- Eid al-Fitr! Sports stars across the world celebrate end of RamadanFootball 1 day ago