Man United make Bruno Fernandes breakthrough with Sporting Lisbon over £55m transfer
Manchester United could land Bruno Fernandes in a £55million deal by the end of the week after a breakthrough in talks with Sporting Lisbon.
United's bid to sign Fernandes hit a wall at the weekend, with both clubs far apart in terms of their valuation of the free-scoring 25-year-old midfielder.
But there is understood to have been progress between the two clubs, with the loss of Marcus Rashford having accelerated United's need to get the deal done this month.
Rashford is out for at least three months, which has intensified United's need for a goalscoring attacker, with Portugal international Fernandes seen as that player.
United are understood to have bid around £40m for Fernandes, which was dismissed by Sporting, but are ready to return with a bid of £46.78m, which could rise to £55m with add-ons.
Sporting were holding out for close to £60m for their captain and most influential player – an initial £51m plus £8.5m in add-ons - but a compromise figure now looks likely to be reached, according to sources in Portugal.
United had hoped to take advantage of Sporting's financial difficulties and land Fernandes on the cheap, but have been forced to up their offer in the wake of Rashford's enforced absence.
United are also putting feelers out with agents as they bid to bring in a short-term fix to address their striker shortage.
Solskjaer is aware they might not be able to land a top target this month as Lyon have already said publicly they do not want to sell ex-Celtic striker Moussa Dembele in this window.
- What is happening to SportPesa?Football 2 days ago
- Former Rugby star and three children die in car fire tragedyRugby 15 hours ago
- Fans react to Man United’s win over Chelsea amid VAR controversyPremier League 1 day ago
- FKF Betway Cup: KPL clubs struggle to qualify for round of 16Football 2 days ago
- MVP award named after Kobe BryantBasketball 2 days ago
- Do not shoot blanks – Gor Mahia coach Polack challenges his strikers Football 13 hours ago
- Harambee Starlets players shine abroad despite struggles at homeFootball 1 day ago