Latest transfer update on Tottenham midfielder Victor Wanyama

By Odero Charles: Tuesday, January 21st 2020 at 20:23 GMT +3 | Football
Victor Wanyama may leave Tottenham Hotspur in January amid interest from a number of European clubs

Galatasaray boss Fatih Terim has identified Tottenham midfielder Victor Wanyama as a transfer target this month, according to Takvim.

With the transfer window remaining open until 31 January, the Harambee Stars skipper has so far attracted attention from a number of European clubs, which include West Ham, Celtic, Norwich City, Aston Villa and AC Milan.

The reports reveals that the Turkish league titan Galatasaray will have a critical meeting with Spurs about Wanyama next week and give the transfer its final shape. 

The Istanbul football giant are reportedly looking to swoop in for Wanyama as a replacement for AS Roma loanee midfielder Steven Nzonzi.

Wanyama’s transfer update comes a week after Spurs manager Jose Mourinho said that the 28-year-old has not discussed his future with him.

"He’s our player. If he wants to leave or not, he didn't tell me, we didn't discuss,” he said. "We are calm about it. Good professional. That’s it." 

Get the latest sports news updates. Subscribe to our SMS sports service by texting 'SPORTS' to 22840.

Wanyama, who joined Spurs from Southampton in the summer of 2016, has struggled with injuries and subsequently lost his place in the team.

Since Mourinho's arrival at Spurs, Wanyama has only made two Premier League appearances for Tottenham this season and the 'Special One' could be willing to sanction a loan deal with a view to a permanent deal, as a result.

Galatasaray will now offer Wanyama a fresh start after he slipped down Tottenham Hotspur’s midfield pecking order behind Tanguy Ndombele, Harry Winks, Moussa Sissoko and Eric Dier.

For More of This and Other Sports Stories Subscribe to the Standard Epaper

LATEST STORIES
POPULAR HEADLINES
Tokyo 2020 unveils Games motto
Tokyo 2020 unveils Games motto
Sports 2 days ago