FKF elections stalemate gives Fifa and Caf bosses reason to worry
World football governing body Fifa and the Confederation of African Football (Caf) are both concerned about the state of Kenya’s football following the recent cancellation of the Football Kenya Federation elections.
Last week, the Sports Disputes Tribunal (SDT) cancelled the planned presidential polls that were to be held on December 7 while at the same time, nullified results of branch elections conducted on November 23.
This was as a result of a petition filed by Nyamira FKF sub-branch chairman Jared Nyauma and a further application done jointly by Sam Nyamweya, Lordvick Aduda, Steve Mburu, Alex Ole Magelo, Angeline Elijah and Moses Akaranga challenging the composition of the FKF Election Board and the Electoral Code.
In its ruling, the John Ohaga-led tribunal had cited improper composition of the board and lack of public participation in the formulation of the Code.
With the current regime’s term set to end on February 10, 2020, the world football governing body has sent its representative, MA Governance Services Manager Sarah Solémalé and Caf’s Chief of Staff Abdulah Marson Moustapha to the country to analyse the situation.
The two representatives on Wednesday held a series of separate meetings with FKF president Nick Mwendwa, FKF’s Electoral Board, the Sports Registrar as well as Sports Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohamed.
Fifa and Caf needed to have an understanding of what is going on and know what next,” said Solémalé.
“The current mandate ends on February 10, 2020, and we have to ensure that elections are done within the first trimester of 2020.”
- Motorsport: Kenyan riders off to international contestSports 2 days ago
- FA Cup: Manchester United beat Tranmere 6-0Football 1 day ago
- PHOTOS: KDF Cross Country meet in ThikaAthletics 2 days ago
- Nakuru RFC seek revenge against Oilers in league tieRugby 2 days ago
- Boston marathon: Cherono gears up for title defenceAthletics 2 hours ago
- Coach of the Year winner Bitok trains eye on 2020 Olympics after awardVolleyball and Handball 2 hours ago
- Reports: Spanish defender in London for Arsenal medicalFootball 1 day ago