Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang ready to quit Arsenal as he pulls out of contract talks
Arsenal striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has pulled out of talks with the club over a contract extension.
And the Gunners captain is ready to quit the club next summer.
Aubameyang won the Premier League golden boot last season and has once more scored goals this term, with 12 in 17 so far despite the North Londoners’ miserable start to the campaign.
His contract has 18 months left to run, but his situation has club chiefs facing a dilemma over whether to sell him next summer - or let him enter the final year of his deal and risk leaving on a free if there's no improvement at the Emirates.
The Gabonese striker, who cost £56million when joining from Borussia Dortmund in January 2018, is deeply frustrated with the club going backwards and wants to win trophies.
Aubameyang, who has only the French League Cup and the German Cup to show for his career as major club honors, is aware that time is running out in that regard, as he turns 31 next June.
The club are themselves fully aware of the player's feelings and recently made him captain after Granit Xhaka was stripped of the armband.
But they know that Aubameyang wants to be both competing for silverware and playing in the Champions League.
That's something that hasn't been on offer during his time in north London and looks increasingly unlikely to be on hand next term too.
Arsenal sit 10th in the Premier League table after their loss to Brighton on Thursday night in Freddie Ljungberg's first home game as interim manager.
Ljungberg has failed to have the new manager bounce that was hoped by club bosses, who must now step up their search for a new permanent boss.
Arsenal have won just four of 15 league games this term, and the managerless Gunners sit 10 points behind the top four.
By the time they kick-off against West Ham on Monday night, they could be as low as 14th.
- Man United predicted line up and team news for FA Cup trip to Tranmere RoversFootball 1 day ago
- Athletics Championships: Sports CS inspects World U-20 facilities at KUSports 2 days ago
- Kobe Bryant tributes led by Barack Obama , CR7 and Michael JordanBasketball 18 hours ago
- Ronaldo and Luis Figo bashed after they posted identical messages to mourn Kobe Bryant’s deathFootball 3 hours ago
- Manchester United defender leaves Old Trafford on loanFootball 2 days ago
- Torino 0-7 Atalanta: Ilicic bags hat-trick in epic Serie A tieFootball 1 day ago
- Awards: Nigerians, Ethiopians stand out in Soya galaSports 2 days ago