Hockey: Scorpions sting at City Park too painful for Sliders
Strathmore University Scorpions yesterday edged out Sliders 2-1 in a Kenya Hockey Union (KHU) women’s match played at City Park.
Two first half goals from Lynn Ayuma and Denise Odongo were enough for the students to complete a double against Sliders who they had thrashed 3-0 in the first leg.
Strathmore captain Jane Muragu said they were looking to end the season strongly despite the title having eluded them once again.
“We want to end the season well so we can build on it and perform better next year. Even though we missed the trophy, we have gained a lot in terms of lessons learnt and we have gained more exposure because most of our players are new to this level of competition,” Muragu said.
Still hurting from the 2-0 loss to United States International University of Africa last month, Scorpions settled in the match first calling the shots from the onset.
Kenya international Gilly Okumu led as they surged deep into Sliders territory. However, their efforts would bear no fruit as skipper Charity Miller had a very solid backline.
After several failed attempts Ayuma finally converted a penalty corner seconds to the break of the first quarter to give the students a 1-0 lead.
Strathmore called the shots in the second quarter with Odongo sending the ball past goalkeeper Catherine Wanjiru to make it 2-0 with three minutes to the breather. The second half was evenly contested with Miller netting Sliders consolation goal in the 50th minute. [Elizabeth Mburugu]
- City Stars go eight-points clear as Shabana bounce backFootball 1 day ago
- Wilson Kipsang survives road accident [Photos]Athletics 19 hours ago
- Rooney bought me a new Lamborghini after Man United stars bullied me – TevezFootball 2 days ago
- Tennis 101: Here’s what you need to know about the sportTennis 1 day ago
- Russia reacts with anger after doping banSports 1 day ago
- Everton investigate 'homophobic' chants at Chelsea fansFootball 2 days ago
- Basketball: Ulinzi Warriors lock horns with ThunderBasketball 2 days ago