Kass Marathon sprints with Sh6m from Lotto Foundation
Kass Marathon organisers have replaced the 10km race with half marathon in this year’s race on November 17, in Eldoret.
The event, now in its 12th edition, received major boost yesterday when Lotto Foundation announced their title sponsorship kitty worth Sh6 million.
The organisers also received Sh8 million from Kass Media Group and Sh1 million from Nandi County. Standard Group Limited is the event’s media partner.
Kass Media Group CEO Julius Lemaon said they received numerous requests from runners to include a half marathon in the event, which forced them to phase out the 10km race in favor of the half marathon.
Runners will compete in 5km fun run, half marathon and the main race; 42km.
“Many runners prefer half marathon, which they use as a launching pad for the full marathon. We had to consider them and decided to introduce the 21km race in place of the 10km event. This race is a unique one because it’s the only marathon than cuts across two counties; Nandi and Uasin Gishu and we expect 2,500 athletes for the half marathon and 1,200 for the full marathon,” said Lemaon.
“The 21km course is being mapped out. The course will go through the same certification process as the main marathon.”
Lotto Foundation Chief Operation Officer Maureen Anduro, while handing over the sponsorship, said: “We are excited to partner with organisers for this initiative and we will continue supporting the event in the coming years just like we have done with Athletics Kenya,” said Anduro.
“During the week of the marathon, we will visit hospitals in Nandi County, where we will give out our Toto care box that contains essential items for the newborn babies.”
AK President Jackson Tuwei praised the organisers for hosting successful events.
- Torino 0-7 Atalanta: Ilicic bags hat-trick in epic Serie A tieFootball 21 hours ago
- PHOTOS: KDF Cross Country meet in ThikaAthletics 1 day ago
- Nakuru RFC seek revenge against Oilers in league tieRugby 1 day ago
- Title race intensifies as KPL resumes with seven matches Football 1 day ago
- Motorsport: Kenyan riders off to international contestSports 1 day ago
- Teenager Gauff stuns Osaka in MelbourneTennis 2 days ago
- AS Roma stunned by success of missing children's campaignFootball 20 hours ago