Police raid house of former Real Madrid star 'suspected of spreading child pornography'
German police have raided the house of former Real Madrid defender Christoph Metzelder on suspicion of possessing and sending child pornography, it has been claimed.
Bild made the claim on Tuesday and prosecutors in Hamburg have since confirmed that there is an ongoing investigation into the former footballer, who represented his country on 47 occasions.
The 38-year-old was coaching a course at the well-known Hennef sports school in Rhine when he was asked by police to accompany them to his home in Dusseldorf.
At least one computer was taken and is still being searched by police, while investigators also confiscated his mobile phone.
Metzelder was not arrested, but a spokesperson for Hamburg's prosecutors said "a 38-year-old German" was suspected of spreading child pornography, which included "digital image recordings".
It is claimed by Bild that German police stepped up an investigation after information was provided to them by a woman from Hamburg, with whom Metzelder allegedly had a relationship with.
She had told police that he'd been sending her indecent photos and videos on WhatsApp, with around 15 images believed to have been shown to investigators.
Metzelder is best remembered for his spell with German giants Borussia Dortmund, who he left to join Real Madrid in 2007.
The German spent three years at the Bernabeu, failing to fully cement a first-team spot in the Spanish capital before he returned home to join Schalke.
He was also a regular in the German national team and appeared 47 times between 2001 and 2008, finishing as a World Cup runner-up in 2002 and also coming up short in the Euro 2008 final.
- Touchdown Forte win Autumn championshipsSports 2 days ago
- Scotland in the slow lane as World Cup hopes dashed by JapanRugby 2 days ago
- Eliud Kipchoge nominated for prestigious global awardAthletics 2 days ago
- Bulgaria PM urges football chief to resign after England match racismFootball 1 day ago
- Bandari beat Coastal Union as they end Tanzania tourFootball 11 hours ago
- Brigid, Chepkoech shortlisted for IAAF awardsAthletics 11 hours ago
- Cross Country: Top stars set for Isaiah Kiplagat cross country showpieceAthletics 11 hours ago