FKF should account for Sh244 million, says Nyamweya
Former Football Kenya Federation (FKF) President Sam Nyamweya has challenged the current office to account for the Sh244 million African Nations Cup (Afcon) money before requesting for more from the State.
The Nick Mwendwa-led federation has publicly admitted they are facing a financial crisis ahead of two crucial national teams’ assignments due to delay in disbursement of funds by the Ministry of Sports.
Harambee Stars, homegrown players, face Tanzania’s Taifa Stars in a 2020 African Nations Championship (CHAN) Qualifiers return leg at Kasarani on Sunday, while Starlets face Malawi in a two-legged 2020 Olympics qualifier later in the month.
However, both teams are facing financial meltdown as the Ministry is yet to disburse the federation’s submitted budgets of Sh19,814,982 and Sh38,939,220 for men’s CHAN and women’s Olympic teams.
But in a press statement issued by Nyamweya yesterday, the former FKF boss urged the current regime to tell the nation how they spent the Afcon money both from the government and other sources.
“The country must not allow itself to be distracted from the right to demand accountability for resources they entrusted FKF with for purposes of the national team which is a symbol of Kenyans’ pride,” said Nyamweya.
“FKF must, and urgently so, answer the following pertinent questions in the public interest: What was the Sh244 million to the FKF by the government in May meant for and how was it spent?
“On the premise that there were trips to France and to Egypt, could the FKF provide the full list of the persons that travelled to the two countries, what their specific roles were, the duration of their stay in the respective destinations and who met the costs?”
- SportPesa: We’re waiting for betting board nod to resume full operationFootball 18 hours ago
- Deaflympics: Kenya team continue good performancesAthletics 2 days ago
- Wambui and Kageha out of Kenya team to world meetAthletics 5 hours ago
- Rugby World Cup kicks off with outstanding opening ceremony [Photos]Rugby 16 hours ago
- Teenager Saka scores as Arsenal win at Frankfurt in Europa LeagueFootball 1 day ago
- Manchester United injury list grows ahead of Europa League clashFootball 2 days ago
- UON Dynamites square it out with FlamesBasketball 4 hours ago