Ex-Barcelona striker Ronaldinho facing financial troubles, his property seized
A court in southern Brazil has forbidden ex-Barcelona striker Ronaldinho from selling 57 of his real estate properties due to an unpaid environmental fine and other debts, a Brazilian newspaper reported on Monday.
The Folha de S.Paulo paper said the former World Player of the Year owes 9.5 million reais ($2.51 million) in unpaid environmental fines after illegally building a pier at his lake house in Porto Alegre.
Creditors have also taken action to recover 7.8 million reais in other debts, Folha said.
Authorities have confiscated Ronaldinho's passport until the cases are resolved, the newspaper added.
The judge in Porto Alegre told Reuters the case fell under judicial secrecy rules and would not confirm or deny any details about the newspaper report.
Ronaldinho's lawyer denied the player's assets were under restriction but told Folha de S.Paulo he could not comment on the details of the case because of the judicial secrecy ruling.
The 39-year-old striker retired from football in 2015 after spells with a host of clubs in Brazil and Europe.
He was twice voted FIFA player of the year while playing for Barcelona and he also won the World Cup with Brazil in 2002.
- Rugby World Cup: Five players to watch in JapanRugby 14 hours ago
- Deaflympics: Kenya team continue good performancesAthletics 1 day ago
- Teenager Saka scores as Arsenal win at Frankfurt in Europa LeagueFootball 9 hours ago
- Manchester United injury list grows ahead of Europa League clashFootball 1 day ago
- Kipchoge says he's getting stronger each dayAthletics 2 days ago
- Senate Speaker Lusaka to flag off Kitui Avena Half MarathonAthletics 2 hours ago
- Ballon d'Or organisers introduce goalkeeper awardFootball 11 hours ago