Sports dominates Kenya’s top internet searches in 2019
Sports dominates what Kenyans are searching for on the internet.
This is according to a report produced by Trends and Insights For Africa (TIFA) on Wednesday, July 10.
The report outlines Kenyans’ Google searches in the last two years circled around events and personalities, with the Euro 2016, Donald Trump, Olympic Games, Jacob Juma and Muhammad Ali completing the top five in 2016.
In 2017, politics dominated internet searches due to the tense political environment, with IEBC results, Tibim, NASA Coalition, Jubilee Party, NASA flag bearer and Presidential results topping the list. KCPE results, the Standard Gauge Railway and Despacito were also the most searched items this year.
According to this report, 2018 and 2019 internet searches revolved around football clubs and sports betting.
Sports betting franchises SportPesa, Livescore, BetPawa and Betin Kenya were the most searched for items between last year and now, with Kenya, News and Facebook completing the list.
This is perhaps due to the intense sporting calendar between the start of 2018 to now, which may have resulted to the immediate rise in subscription or usage of these sports betting websites.
Below is a screengrab of the TIFA report:
- Confirmed: Harambee Stars knocked out of 2019 AfconFootball 2 weeks ago
- Chelsea star agrees new five-year deal hours after Lampard’s appointmentFootball 2 weeks ago
- Gor Mahia to fly Kenyan flag in Kagame CupFootball 2 weeks ago
- How Kenyan stewards forgot their job as Kariobangi Sharks schooled Everton [Photos]Football 1 week ago
- Good news for Man United as club ‘agrees terms’ with Portuguese powerhouseGossip & Rumours 2 weeks ago
- Gor Mahia complete signing of Rwandese goal machineFootball 2 weeks ago
- Barcelona superstar 'says yes' to PSG transfer - paving way for Neymar returnFootball 2 weeks ago