Sports dominates Kenya’s top internet searches in 2019
Sports dominates what Kenyans are searching for on the internet.
This is according to a report produced by Trends and Insights For Africa (TIFA) on Wednesday, July 10.
The report outlines Kenyans’ Google searches in the last two years circled around events and personalities, with the Euro 2016, Donald Trump, Olympic Games, Jacob Juma and Muhammad Ali completing the top five in 2016.
In 2017, politics dominated internet searches due to the tense political environment, with IEBC results, Tibim, NASA Coalition, Jubilee Party, NASA flag bearer and Presidential results topping the list. KCPE results, the Standard Gauge Railway and Despacito were also the most searched items this year.
According to this report, 2018 and 2019 internet searches revolved around football clubs and sports betting.
Sports betting franchises SportPesa, Livescore, BetPawa and Betin Kenya were the most searched for items between last year and now, with Kenya, News and Facebook completing the list.
This is perhaps due to the intense sporting calendar between the start of 2018 to now, which may have resulted to the immediate rise in subscription or usage of these sports betting websites.
Below is a screengrab of the TIFA report:
- Brigid Kosgei wins Chicago Marathon breaking Radcliffe's record as Cherono wins men's raceAthletics 2 days ago
- Angry Farah hits back at critics in Salazar doping rowAthletics 2 days ago
- Mozambique 1-0 Kenya: Mambas bite Stars in friendly at KasaraniFootball 2 days ago
- Rugby: Lionesses hunt down, bag 2020 Olympic Games slotRugby 2 days ago
- Touchdown Forte win Autumn championshipsSports 2 days ago
- Scotland in the slow lane as World Cup hopes dashed by JapanRugby 1 day ago
- Eliud Kipchoge nominated for prestigious global awardAthletics 1 day ago