Allan Wanga retires from international football
Kakamega Homeboyz striker Allan Wanga has officially announced his retirement from international football.
The 34 year-old had prepared for life after football after earning a Diploma in Human Resource management from University of Nairobi in 2018.
In a statement seen by Game Yetu, Wanga has closed the curtains on his international career after missing out of the selection for the ongoing Africa Cup of Nations tournament in Egypt.
"For 12 years, I have had the singular privilege and great honour to represent my country on the football pitch. Together with the support of the team, the management and the fans at large, I believe I have represented my country to the best of my ability," read part of the statement.
"It’s now time for me to pave way for other players who I believe will embody the spirit of Harambee as I trust I did. I wish the National Team the very best in their future endeavours and now transition from the pitch to the terrace as the team’s biggest cheerleader," he continued.
In the statement, the star striker added that he will continue to play club football at Kakamega Homeboyz, where he bagged a total of 18 goals last season.
Wanga missed out on selection to the Harambee Stars squad that travelled to Egypt for the showpiece event, with coach Sebastien Migne preferring Kashiwa Reysol’s Michael Olunga, Sofapaka’s John Avire and Al-Nasr Benghazi’s Masoud Juma to lead the attack.
- Wilfried Zaha breaks silence on Arsenal transfer link and gives fans much-needed hopeFootball 1 month ago
- Uhuru leads Kenyans in mourning KadengeFootball 1 month ago
- Big Boys don’t cry: Which way next for Golf Majors?Golf 1 month ago
- Nigeria suffers shock loss to AFCON debutants MadagascarFootball 1 month ago
- Former Barcelona, Man City legend signs for new clubFootball 1 month ago
- Why Wanyama will still be forced out of Tottenham even if Eriksen departsFootball 1 month ago
- Champions League pitch invader arrested trying to do the same at Copa AmericaFootball 1 month ago