Chelsea new boss opens up on team future, names star who'll be crucial for Blues next season
New Chelsea boss Frank Lampard has hinted N'Golo Kante is set for a central role in his Chelsea system.
The legendary former midfielder has sealed an emotional Stamford Bridge return and was officially unveiled as the new boss in a press conference on Thursday.
Lampard spoke at length about the need to be "realistic" as he prepares for a tough task under a transfer ban after the departure of Eden Hazard.
But he picked out dynamic midfielder Kante as one player he can't wait to work with and suggested he will be handed a huge role in his system when he starts building his team when pre-season starts on Friday.
Lampard said: "I think, I've said it out loud before, that Kante is one of the greatest midfield players in the world.
"In the last few years his performances have been outstanding, and one of the pleasures of me getting this job is that I am able to work with players of his quality.
"My job will be to get the best out of him and the team, and I'm fortunate to have a player like him because I know the quality and the attributes and I'll try to get the best out of him."
Despite winning three Premier League titles with the club, Lampard admitted his side are unlikely to immediately close the gap established by top two Liverpool and Manchester City last season as he urged them to "stay competitive".
He commented: "I played here for many years, I know there are standards. Probably there is a baseline of definitely being competitive, and to stay in competitive in the Premier League is a big ask.
"As we know the Premier League is the most competitive league in the world, but it doesn't change the fact we should be there or thereabouts and the aim is to stay competitive.
“We know there are variables, we know about the transfer ban, Manchester City and Liverpool pulled away last year and we all have to be realistic about that.
"We should never stop trying, as Chelsea, to be up there. I won't say I'm coming to come in and we're going to do this and we're going to do that, but my instinct is to make sure we stay competitive and keep trying to win.”
- Former prolific Brazilian midfielder makes Arsenal returnFootball 1 month ago
- Revealed:Why Man Utd are facing pressure from Adidas over Paul Pogba transferFootball 1 month ago
- Neymar's dad makes shock admission over PSG superstar's return to BarcelonaFootball 1 month ago
- Zaha sends powerful message to fans on joining ArsenalFootball 1 month ago
- ‘New signing’ Victor Wanyama set to stay at Tottenham despite Ndombele ArrivalFootball 1 month ago
- BREAKING: PSG confirm Neymar has gone absent without leave after failing to show up for pre-seasonFootball 1 month ago
- IDPA Expert shooter Onyango set for MagTech Cup in HungarySports 1 month ago