Revealed: Why Chelsea delayed announcing Frank Lampard's return to Stamford Bridge
Chelsea looked poised to finally confirm Frank Lampard as their new manager on Wednesday - but delayed the announcement.
Lampard was spotted at Stamford Bridge earlier in the day to put the finishing touches on the stunning deal that will see him return to the Blues.
Derby boss Lampard, 41, has agreed a three-year contract worth £4million-a-year with hefty bonuses, especially for getting into the Champions League.
The former midfielder enjoyed a hugely successful spell as a player for the Blues, becoming the club's record goalscorer and winning three Premier League titles as well as the Champions League.
But it seems the club opted to delay the official confirmation - with some reports suggesting it could be because popular social media websites Facebook and Instagram crashed on Wednesday afternoon.
However, the club insists that was not the case.
Both Facebook and Instagram - as well as another Facebook-owned company, WhatsApp - are currently experiencing problems with loading pictures and videos.
The Blues have 17.4million followers on Instagram and a whopping 48million fans on Facebook, and it is understood they held off on the announcement until the bugs are fixed.
Lampard was excused from taking training with Derby this week to thrash out the finer details of his new contract at Chelsea.
But Lampard will endeavour to integrate more young and homegrown players this season with Chelsea facing a two-window transfer ban.
It will be a hard task for Lampard in only his second full season as a manager but Chelsea know that his hero status among the supporters will buy him time and patience.
Once confirmed, Lampard will then set about drawing up plans and taking training for Chelsea in pre-season as the club head to Dublin and the Far East.
- Everton 2 – 0 West Ham: Resurgent Everton outclass West Ham to end losing runFootball 2 days ago
- Man United job isn't too big for me, says SolskjaerFootball 2 days ago
- David Luiz reveals the club that can challenge Liverpool to win EPL title this seasonFootball 2 days ago
- Alonso silences Newcastle taunts as Chelsea climb to thirdFootball 2 days ago
- Spurs stumble again as Leicester winFootball 2 days ago
- Seven-try All Blacks outclass Ireland to reach World Cup semisRugby 2 days ago
- Cricket: Scotland beat Kenya in T20Cricket 2 days ago