Raila Odinga meets Harambee Stars players ahead of AFCON tournament
The African Union Commission High Representative for Infrastructure Development Raila Odinga on Thursday, June 20 visited the men’s national senior football team Harambee Stars at their hotel in Egypt.
Stars begin their campaign on Sunday as they clash with the Desert Warriors (Algeria) - a match they need to win to increase their chances of qualifying to the last 12.
Through a video shared on Twitter by a journalist covering the AFCON, a jovial Raila is seen entering the hotel escorted by guards and officials.
Here is the video:
Just in, @RailaOdinga has just arrived at the @harambee__stars team hotel to meet the players ahead of their first game at the #Afcon2019 #HarambeeStars @citizentvkenya pic.twitter.com/B5l1ijHhnJ — Bernard Ndong (@BernardNdong) June 20, 2019
Kenyan football team Harambee Stars will earn a whopping $4.5 million (Sh459 million) if they win the upcoming 2019 Africa Cup of Nations in Cairo, Egypt.
According to the Confederation of African Football (CAF), a total of Sh1.4 billion will be shared between the best teams.
If a country is knocked out from the quarter-final stage, it will cash in $800,000 (Sh82million).
Semi-finalists who contest the third-place play-off will share $4m, with each getting $2m (Sh204 million).
The winners will pocket $4.5m (Sh459 million) while the runners-up will take home $2.5m (Sh255 million).
The tournament kicks off tomorrow Friday, June 21, with hosts Egypt taking on Zimbabwe at the Cairo International Stadium at 11 pm.
Kenya have been pooled alongside neighbours Tanzania, Algeria and 2002 runners-up Senegal.
- I lost the match because I did not receive any assistance from the government - Zarika Boxing 2 days ago
- Jose Mourinho linked with shock move to TottenhamFootball 2 days ago
- Harambee starlets 2-0 Ethiopia: Starlets get Cecafa campaign off to winning start Football 2 days ago
- Verstappen wins crazy race as both Ferraris crash outSports 2 days ago
- Yellow card turns to six-month ban for South AfricanFootball 2 days ago
- Volleyball: KCB seek to end long league title droughtVolleyball and Handball 2 days ago
- AFCON 2021 Qualifiers: Stars look to avenge 2012 defeat to Togo at Kasarani tonightFootball 2 days ago