Cristiano Ronaldo responds as Virgil van Dijk emerges favourite for Ballon d'Or
Cristiano Ronaldo is refusing to think about the Ballon d'Or after Portugal's UEFA Nations League success.
Portugal won the inaugural competition on Sunday night as Ronaldo lifted the trophy after a 1-0 win over Holland.
The Juventus superstar scored a hat-trick in the semi-final success over Switzerland but found it tough going in the final up against Liverpool stalwart Virgil van Dijk.
He has emerged as the favourite to win the prestigious Ballon d'Or prize after a stunning campaign that ended with Liverpool lifting the Champions League.
Lionel Messi is the second-favourite with he and Ronaldo sharing the award for 10 seasons in a row before Luka Modric's success last year.
Ronaldo has won the prize five times and was asked if he was on course for a sixth after Portugal's success on home soil.
“The goal for the match was to win and to play well," he said.
Pushed for an answer by reporters after the win over Holland, he responded: "No, I will not speak about the Ballon d’Or.”
Despite his heroics in the semi-final, Ronaldo was not able to win the Player of the Tournament award for the Nations League.
That went to Manchester City's Bernardo Silva and Ronaldo appeared dismayed at the decision as the celebrations began after the final whistle.
He did find time to speak to Holland defender Matthijs de Ligt though and urged the Ajax skipper to join him at Juventus.
Speaking to Dutch publication NOS, De Ligt confirmed that Ronaldo had instructed him to sign for Juventus during their brief chat.
"That could well be true," said De Ligt. "What I answered? I didn't understand him at first. So I said… no, I didn't say anything."
The Dutchman added: "I was a bit shocked, that's why I laughed. But I didn't say anything. Just after the game you just feel bad that you've lost, that’s all you're thinking about."
- Kenyan athletes post mixed results in JapanAthletics 1 month ago
- Man United, City embroiled in Sh15 billion tug of war with Real Madrid for popular starFootball 3 weeks ago
- Lampard likely to be named new Chelsea coach – RedknappFootball 1 week ago
- Footballer collapses, dies on pitch – day after speaking about his conditionFootball 2 months ago
- Top footballer humiliated, girlfriend’s car sprayed with the word ‘Loser’ [Photos]Gossip & Rumours 3 weeks ago
- Daniel James transfer: Man Utd close on £15m Swansea star as Jadon Sancho alternativeFootball 1 month ago
- Premier League club sack managerPremier League 1 month ago