Griezmann confirms he is leaving Atletico Madrid this summer
Antoine Griezmann has confirmed he is leaving Atletico Madrid this summer.
A two-minute video message was posted on Atletico's official Twitter account on Tuesday evening in which Griezmann confirmed Saturday's clash with Levante would be his last.
"It's been an incredible five years; Thank you very much for everything, I take you in the heart," Griezmann said.
The Frenchman has been the subject of intense transfer speculation with Barcelona expected to try and sign him for the second straight summer.
According to Marca, Griezmann held a meeting with manager Diego Simeone and chief executive Miguel Angel Gil Marin to communicate his decision and open the door for him to make the switch to the Nou Camp.
Griezmann was targeted by Barcelona last summer and made a high-profile decision to commit his future to Atletico Madrid.
Griezmann was said to be frustrated when Madrid were knocked out of the Champions League by Juventus after a Cristiano Ronaldo hat-trick and reports surfaced he was again considering his future at the Wanda Metropolitano.
Manager Simeone has expressed his belief Griezmann would stay but he will now have to search for a new talisman.
Barcelona suffered their own Champions League failure at the hands of Liverpool in the semi-finals and want Griezmann as a central figure of their revamp, eventually being the successor to aging Lionel Messi.
He has been linked to Manchester United, but reports in Spain suggest the World Cup winner has made his decision with a move to Barcelona in mind.
United's failure to qualify for the Champions League also means Griezmann is almost certainly out of reach as he eyes a fresh challenge in his career.
- Liverpool ready to move for Salburg star Minamino in the January transfer windowPremier League 3 days ago
- Liverpool beat Man United to sign Japan star Minamino Premier League 2 days ago
- Former Liverpool FC WAG guilty of funding terrorism over ISIS supportPremier League 2 days ago
- Aguero and Stones to miss Arsenal Vs Man City clash through injuryPremier League 2 days ago
- Guardiola denies Man City break clausePremier League 2 days ago
- Okwiri thirsts for title defence Boxing 1 day ago
- NSL: Stakes high ahead of City Stars, Black Stars matchSports 1 day ago