Iker Casillas tweets from hospital bed after suffering heart attack in training
Iker Casillas has shared a photo from his hospital bed and broken his silence on his suspected heart attack.
The Porto goalkeeper was rushed to hospital after suffering chest pain during a training session on Wednesday.
The Real Madrid legend underwent surgery but he is recovering at Hospital CUF in Porto after what he described as a "big scare".
Casillas has been inundated with well-wishes from around the world and thanked those for their support with a picture of him in his hospital bed giving a thumbs up gesture.
Casillas wrote: "Everything under control, a big fright but strong as ever. Huge thanks for all the messages and love."
A statement from Porto said the keeper had suffered an "acute myocardial infarction" during the morning session at Olival.
Casillas had been training in preparation for Porto's Primeira Liga game at home to Aves this weekend, although he is now unlikely to play again this season.
He burst onto the scene when he made his debut for boyhood club Real Madrid as a teenager in 1999, having come through the club's ranks. He remained at the Bernabeu for the next 16 years.
During his time at Madrid he won the Champions League three times - in 2000, 2002 and 2014 - and also won five La Liga titles and two Copa del Rey trophies.
His former employers Real wished him well in a statement, saying they wanted to see "their eternal captain recover as soon as possible" while sending him "all the courage in the world".
Casillas moved to Porto in 2015 and helped them win the Portuguese league title last season.
Last month he played in both legs of the Champions League quarter-final defeat to Liverpool.
- After suffering heart attack, Goalkeeper Casillas tweets from hospital bedFootball 1 month ago
- Spanish GP: Hamilton inspired to victory by brave cancer boySports 1 month ago
- Boxing injuries that left boxers in critical condition or deadBoxing 1 month ago
- How Griezmann could end up being a Man United playerFootball 3 weeks ago
- Pogba penalties save lackluster Man UnitedFootball 2 months ago
- AFCON 2019: Wanyama arrives on Africa’s big stageFootball 5 days ago
- How huge crowds electrified Eldoret City MarathonAthletics 1 month ago