Key Chelsea player out with knee injury for the rest of the season
Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger will miss the remainder of the season after undergoing knee surgery for an injury sustained in Sunday’s 1-1 Premier League draw at Manchester United, the London club said.
Rudiger, who hurt his left knee and limped off after 65 minutes, will miss Chelsea’s final two league matches against Watford and Leicester as well as their Europa League campaign where they take on Eintracht Frankfurt in the semi-finals.
"Toni Rudiger successfully underwent surgery on his left knee meniscus today. He will miss the rest of this campaign and will rehab over the summer to be back early next season," Chelsea said on their website.
Andreas Christensen is expected to fill in at centre back for the 26-year-old Germany international when Chelsea visit Frankfurt for the first leg on Thursday.
“What a pity I won’t be able to help my team during the last games of the season. But my knee surgery went well and I’m already positive again,” Rudiger said on Instagram.
Chelsea are fourth in the Premier League with 68 points and looking to secure the position to ensure Champions League soccer next season.
- What went wrong with Harambee Stars in Egypt?Football 1 month ago
- PHOTOS: Pogba and Lingard in heated fight as Man United land in AustraliaFootball 1 month ago
- Good news for Man United as club ‘agrees terms’ with Portuguese powerhouseGossip & Rumours 1 month ago
- Gor Mahia complete signing of Rwandese goal machineFootball 1 month ago
- Barcelona superstar 'says yes' to PSG transfer - paving way for Neymar returnFootball 1 month ago
- Gor Mahia to fly Kenyan flag in Kagame CupFootball 1 month ago
- How Kenyan stewards forgot their job as Kariobangi Sharks schooled Everton [Photos]Football 1 month ago