Key Chelsea player out with knee injury for the rest of the season
Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger will miss the remainder of the season after undergoing knee surgery for an injury sustained in Sunday’s 1-1 Premier League draw at Manchester United, the London club said.
Rudiger, who hurt his left knee and limped off after 65 minutes, will miss Chelsea’s final two league matches against Watford and Leicester as well as their Europa League campaign where they take on Eintracht Frankfurt in the semi-finals.
"Toni Rudiger successfully underwent surgery on his left knee meniscus today. He will miss the rest of this campaign and will rehab over the summer to be back early next season," Chelsea said on their website.
Andreas Christensen is expected to fill in at centre back for the 26-year-old Germany international when Chelsea visit Frankfurt for the first leg on Thursday.
“What a pity I won’t be able to help my team during the last games of the season. But my knee surgery went well and I’m already positive again,” Rudiger said on Instagram.
Chelsea are fourth in the Premier League with 68 points and looking to secure the position to ensure Champions League soccer next season.
- Football: Robben admits he may never play for Bayern againFootball 2 months ago
- Photos: Inside Chelsea's wild dressing room celebrations after winning the Europa LeagueFootball 3 weeks ago
- THREE clubs chasing Ozil revealedFootball 1 week ago
- Messi held behind by anti-doping testers after Liverpool defeatFootball 1 month ago
- Schwarzenegger has revealed why he was attacked with flying kick in South Africa Sports 1 month ago
- Man Utd sack reserve team manager in ruthless summer shake-upFootball 1 month ago
- Photos: How CS Mohamed surprised Harambee Stars before Madagascar matchFootball 2 weeks ago