Andy Robertson reveals Liverpool game plan to stop Lionel Messi in Champions League
Andy Robertson admits Liverpool will have to defend as a team to deal with Lionel Messi.
The Reds travel to the Nou Camp on Wednesday night for the first leg of their Champions League semi-final.
Messi has enjoyed another incredible campaign with his goals firing Barca to the La Liga title.
His sights will now be set on a first Champions League since 2015 and Liverpool will have to be at their best to stop the Barca skipper.
Robertson, who is likely to be directly up against the Argentine, insists it will not be a one-man job.
"I don’t think you have to prepare any differently from any other game. Of course, you’re playing against a better player than you usually would... he’s the best player in the world," the Scot told UEFA.
You can maybe watch clips, although I don’t know if that would help, mind you!
“But I think we all need to be prepared because he drifts all over the pitch.
"You watch him, and sometimes he’s back in the centre-half spot, picking up the ball from deep and things like that, so he’ll start on the right but I’m prepared for him not to stay out there. But I know he’ll be running at us at times, and it’s all about how we defend it."
Robertson admits Barca have the players to hurt Liverpool, even if they manage to keep Messi quiet.
“We need to defend in packs, but the problem is that it’s not just him," he added.
"If you keep him quiet, then you’ve got Coutinho, who we all know well, you’ve got Suarez and people like that who can cause you problems, so it’s not about keeping one man quiet, it’s about keeping the whole team quiet, and that’ll be the hardest thing for us.”
- Chelsea's star midfielder signs five-year contract extensionFootball 1 month ago
- Good news for Man United as club ‘agrees terms’ with Portuguese powerhouseGossip & Rumours 1 month ago
- Harambee Stars goalkeeper joins Tanzania’s Yanga FCFootball 1 month ago
- Barcelona superstar 'says yes' to PSG transfer - paving way for Neymar returnFootball 1 month ago
- Man United First training: New boy Daniel James in action [Photos]Football 1 month ago
- Griezmann shocks football world, delivers on threat Football 1 month ago
- AFCON: Maybe this year will be the one – Senegal coachFootball 1 month ago