North Rift ready for second edition of Eldoret City Marathon [Photos]
In less than 12 hours, athletes, mostly from the North Rift region of Kenya will compete for a whopping Sh18 million at the second edition of the Eldoret City Marathon.
According to organisers, roads to be used for the marathon will be closed to motorists from as early as 5:00 am, with the women’s 42-kilometre race to begin at exactly 7:00 am.
The men’s 42-kilometre race will begin 30 minutes later.
The winners in each category will walk away with Sh3.5 million each – a record amount never seen before in African marathons.
According to Uasin Gishu Governor Jackson Mandago, the huge sum is aimed at rivaling international marathons and getting more promoters.
“The $35,000 prize money is the highest in African marathons. We aim to rival the London marathon’s $100,000 prize money in the next few years if we get more sponsors,” said Governor Mandago.
The race begins at the University of Eldoret and takes more than 20 turns before winding up at Central Primary School in Eldoret town.
Athletes will take the first turn at Junction and then proceed to Uasin Gishu Veterinary Services offices. They then turn left to Coca Cola Company as they head towards Paul’s Bakery along Uganda Road.
They head to Mwanzo and Umoja estates en route to 64 Stadium then proceed to West Indies, Elgon view and Kapsoya before heading to the finish line at Central Primary School.
Standard Media Group is the major media partner in the race sponsored by Uasin Gishu County government and a host of corporates.
- Wilfried Zaha breaks silence on Arsenal transfer link and gives fans much-needed hopeFootball 1 month ago
- Big Boys don’t cry: Which way next for Golf Majors?Golf 1 month ago
- Nigeria suffers shock loss to AFCON debutants MadagascarFootball 1 month ago
- Former Barcelona, Man City legend signs for new clubFootball 1 month ago
- Why Wanyama will still be forced out of Tottenham even if Eriksen departsFootball 1 month ago
- Uhuru leads Kenyans in mourning KadengeFootball 1 month ago
- Champions League pitch invader arrested trying to do the same at Copa AmericaFootball 1 month ago