Man Utd legend Nicky Butt arrested after 'domestic incident'
Former Manchester United and England midfielder Nicky Butt has reportedly been arrested on suspicion of assault.
Butt, 44, who is now head of the club’s youth academy, was led away from his home in Hale, Greater Manchester this afternoon.
He allegedly had an argument with a woman and had arrived at 2pm to pick up some belongings.
An eyewitness told Daily Star Online: “I saw him arrested at his home in Hale.
“From what I overheard, he went there to collect his belongings. There was a big argument and that’s when he allegedly assaulted her.”
A Greater Manchester Police spokeswoman did not confirm any names but said: “Police were called at around 2 pm on Tuesday, 16 April, to reports that a woman had been assaulted at a house on Broadway, Hale.
“The woman received a small cut to her hand and does not require hospital treatment.
“A 44–year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of assault and remains in custody for questioning. Enquiries are ongoing.”
Butt has been married to Shelley Barlow since 2008 and the couple have two children.
As well as his role at Manchester United, Butt is co-owner of National League outfit Salford City FC.
Butt has a share of the club along with fellow ex-United stars David Beckham, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, and Gary and Phil Neville.
The players were all part of the legendary “Class of 92”, who helped drive United to a string of trophies under then manager Sir Alex Ferguson.
Butt’s agent did not comment, along with Salford FC secretary, Andy Giblin.
- Bandari beat Coastal Union as they end Tanzania tourFootball 2 days ago
- Brigid, Chepkoech shortlisted for IAAF awardsAthletics 2 days ago
- Cross Country: Top stars set for Isaiah Kiplagat cross country showpieceAthletics 2 days ago
- Kipchoge arrives home after running marathon in under two hoursEliud Kipchoge 2 days ago
- Wanyama speaks about transfer Football 2 days ago
- Mental strength key to Japan's preparation for South Africa clashRugby 2 days ago
- Ireland must frustrate the hell out of All Blacks, says D'ArcyRugby 2 days ago