Diego Costa handed EIGHT-match ban after red card against Barcelona
Diego Costa could have played his last game for Atletico Madrid after he was handed an eight-match ban.
The former Chelsea star saw red after comments made towards referee Gil Manzano during the defeat to Barcelona.
In his match report, the official claims Costa twice said to him "I s*** on you w**** mother."
Costa is also accused of holding the referee's arm to prevent him from showing a yellow card to teammates Diego Godin and Jose Gimenez.
He has been handed two four-game bans for the respective incidents.
The Spanish Football Federation sat on Wednesday to decide on Costa's fate and have banned him, which will rule him out of the rest of the season.
He has also been fined almost £5200 for his conduct while the RFEF have also come down hard on Atletico.
Costa's long-term future at Atletico was unclear before the incident, which Diego Simeone preferring Alvaro Morata since his move from Chelsea.
The Spain striker has only managed five goals this term and the dismissal against Barca may appear to be the final straw.
Simeone's patience has reportedly run out with Costa and he will listen to offers for him at the end of the season.
Costa returned to Madrid in 2017 after three seasons with Chelsea.
He arrived at Stamford Bridge from Atletico and helped the Blues to two Premier League titles.
But his relationship with Antonio Conte soured in his final few months in west London, with the Chelsea boss telling the striker he was not in his plans via text.
He has failed to hit the same heights as he did in his first spell in Madrid and a move away may now beckon this summer.
- I lost the match because I did not receive any assistance from the government - Zarika Boxing 2 days ago
- Jose Mourinho linked with shock move to TottenhamFootball 2 days ago
- Harambee starlets 2-0 Ethiopia: Starlets get Cecafa campaign off to winning start Football 2 days ago
- Verstappen wins crazy race as both Ferraris crash outSports 2 days ago
- Yellow card turns to six-month ban for South AfricanFootball 2 days ago
- Volleyball: KCB seek to end long league title droughtVolleyball and Handball 2 days ago
- AFCON 2021 Qualifiers: Stars look to avenge 2012 defeat to Togo at Kasarani tonightFootball 2 days ago