James Situma on target as Mathare United thump Posta Rangers
Mathare United returned to winning ways and leapfrogged Bandari into the third place on the table after beating Posta Rangers 3-1 in yesterday’s SportPesa Premier League at Kenyatta Stadium, Machakos.
Charles Odette gave Mathare an early lead in the 15th minute, scoring into his own net while trying to clear John Mwangi’s dangerous cross in the box.
Five minutes later, experienced defender James Situma rose high above his markers to head home Kevin Kimani’s delivery before Harun Junior pounced on Andrew Juma’s header across the face of goal to make it 3-0.
The mailmen came back into the second half a more rejuvenated side, piling pressure on the Slum Boys’ backline.
And after a series of attacks, they managed to pull a goal back midway through the second half thanks to Calvin Odongo’s screamer.
The victory left Mathare assistant coach Salim Ali a happy man as his side ended their three-game winless run and took their points tally to 34.
“The players were a bit comfortable in the second half as Rangers played a different game pushing the ball into the box. But the good thing is that we had utilized our early chances and tried to sit back in the second half. For ten days without playing a game, you can’t have the same rhythm, but I’m glad we had a good show,” said Ali after the match.
- Haile Gebrselassie responds to Mo Farah’s theft allegationsAthletics 3 weeks ago
- Barcelona legend Xavi announces retirement Football 2 weeks ago
- Liverpool manager Klopp issues daunting message to Messi after demolishing PortoFootball 1 month ago
- Volleyball: Epoloto confident ahead of qualifiersVolleyball and Handball 1 week ago
- BetLion to send lucky fan and friend to Egypt for AFCONFootball 1 month ago
- Why footballers wear braFootball 1 week ago
- Kipchoge: I don’t know when I’ll reach the treetopAthletics 3 weeks ago