James Situma on target as Mathare United thump Posta Rangers
Mathare United returned to winning ways and leapfrogged Bandari into the third place on the table after beating Posta Rangers 3-1 in yesterday’s SportPesa Premier League at Kenyatta Stadium, Machakos.
Charles Odette gave Mathare an early lead in the 15th minute, scoring into his own net while trying to clear John Mwangi’s dangerous cross in the box.
Five minutes later, experienced defender James Situma rose high above his markers to head home Kevin Kimani’s delivery before Harun Junior pounced on Andrew Juma’s header across the face of goal to make it 3-0.
The mailmen came back into the second half a more rejuvenated side, piling pressure on the Slum Boys’ backline.
And after a series of attacks, they managed to pull a goal back midway through the second half thanks to Calvin Odongo’s screamer.
The victory left Mathare assistant coach Salim Ali a happy man as his side ended their three-game winless run and took their points tally to 34.
“The players were a bit comfortable in the second half as Rangers played a different game pushing the ball into the box. But the good thing is that we had utilized our early chances and tried to sit back in the second half. For ten days without playing a game, you can’t have the same rhythm, but I’m glad we had a good show,” said Ali after the match.
- JESUS WEPT! Brazil superstar punches VAR before breaking down in tearsFootball 1 month ago
- AFCON: Ighalo seeks to burst South African bubbleFootball 1 month ago
- Moussa Dembele makes Man Utd transfer decision amid Liverpool and Arsenal interestFootball 1 month ago
- Points to catch Safari Rally action today for freeSports 1 month ago
- Nemanja Vidic lined up for shock Man United returnFootball 1 month ago
- Chelsea fans react after Lampard’s appointment as managerFootball 1 month ago
- Messi fumes at Copa America Football 1 month ago