Wrath of titans: Man United at war with Barca
Manchester United have returned fire against FC Barcelona by charging the La Liga outfit's fans 102 pounds for Champions League matchday tickets in order to cushion their own fans from the extortionate fee at the Nou Camp.
The two sides were drawn together in the Champions League quarter-finals and will meet in a two-legged tie but the United fans have bumped into astronomical prices awaiting them in Barcelona.
The Catalans are charging Manchester United supporters a shocking 102 pounds per ticket which qualifies as the costliest fee in the Red Devils' history outside a final.
United have responded by rushing to protect their fans through subsiding the cost of the away ticket by charging the Barca fans the same price at Old Trafford.
In a club statement, United seem to have been forced into the decision.
"In this instance we believe that our travelling supporters are again being subjected to increased/excessive ticket prices from the host club, we have again taken the difficult decision to charge FC Barcelona fans for the home leg at Old Trafford the same amount that FC Barcelona are charging for the away fixture (£102), we will use the additional revenue gained from this to subsidise our travelling support by paying the £27 price difference for each of our travelling supporters."
As a result, United faithful will only need to part with 75 pounds for their entry at the Spanish Colosseum when they return to witness another battle similar to their dramatic 1999 triumph.
The English side have been awarded 4,610 tickets for the encounter.
However, this is not the first time United have stepped in to cushion their fans from 'the Spanish extortion'.
The club stepped in for their group game against Valencia earlier in this campaign and in the knock out stages against Sevilla last season.
- Arsenal to finally get rid of superstar after ‘50 per cent’ breakthroughFootball 1 month ago
- AFCON: Madagascar make history, edge DR Congo on penaltiesFootball 1 month ago
- England Rugby League star donates brain to scienceRugby 1 month ago
- Harambee Stars Vs Senegal: We can do it – MigneFootball 1 month ago
- Furious Messi blasts Copa America officials after loss to BrazilFootball 1 month ago
- ‘We don’t fear the Lions’ declare Uganda ahead of clashFootball 1 month ago
- PHOTOS: Pogba and Lingard in heated fight as Man United land in AustraliaFootball 1 month ago