Will Kenya travel for their last AFCON qualifier after reports emerge they could miss Ghana trip?
Despite, President Uhuru Kenyatta promising that his government will fund all national teams representing the country, Harambee Stars could miss this week’s Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Ghana away.
Game Yetu understands that Football Kenya Federation (FKF) is yet to receive the promised Sh244million to enable them honour the fixture and also begin preparations for the June 21-July 3 Africa Cup of Nations finals.
Last week, the ministry of sports said it has released the money but FKF says the cash is yet to hit their accounts.
“We have done our best and ensured that the national under-23 team travels to Sudan for an Olympic qualifier and at the same time booked the senior team at Safari Park Hotel all in the hope that the government will send us money to off-set the bills.
“This has not happened as we speak. First we were informed the money was sent on Thursday but until today, it has not hit our accounts. Time is running out. If we don’t get it by tomorrow afternoon, it will be very difficult to honor the Ghana tie. We are ready to give a walk-over,” said a FKF official who asked not to be named.
The official said the federation has also paid for tickets for all the foreign-based players to enable them come to Nairobi.
“We have done all this and cannot do anything more until the money is received from the government. We have run out of options and are willing to give a walk-over to Ghana.”
Both Kenya and Ghana have already qualified for the Africa Cup of Nations to be held from June this year.
- Athletics: Stars gear up for World Relays trialsAthletics 1 month ago
- Ex-Arsenal star: I almost committed suicideFootball 3 weeks ago
- Photos: Meet dentist behind Liverpool stars’ smilesFootball 1 month ago
- Shujaa up one spot despite gloomy show in Hong KongRugby 1 month ago
- Premier League club sack managerPremier League 1 week ago
- Daniel James transfer: Man Utd close on £15m Swansea star as Jadon Sancho alternativeFootball 1 week ago
- Shock as Kenyan suspended from London MarathonAthletics 3 weeks ago