Gor Mahia beat Petro Atletico 1-0 - What lies next for the Kenyan Champions?
SportPesa Premier League perennial champions Gor Mahia, you could say, are on cloud nine following their qualification for the quarterfinals of the CAF Confederation Cup on Sunday, March 17.
The team went into the match with high spirits amid salary issues, as they reportedly had not been paid their February salaries and allowances.
However, K’Ogalo’s struggles could temporarily come to a halt following bagging a whopping Sh35 million thanks to yesterday’s victory.
Nine-man Gor Mahia dented Angolan outfit Petro Atletico de Luanda 1-0 at the Moi Sports Centre Kasarani, with the solitary goal coming through Rwandese acquisition Jacques Tuyisenge in the 57th minute.
Tuyisenge converted a nervy penalty kick after Boniface Omondi was brought down in the 18-yard box.
K’Ogalo, had to play most of the match with a slight disadvantage since they were reduced to nine men after midfielder Ernest Wendo and Ugandan left back Shafik Batambuze were sent off in the 36th and 76th minute respectively.
Gor head coach Hassan Oktay was also sent to the stands just before halftime after blasting the match officials.
The Cypriot-Briton could not hide his joy as he congratulated his side for making it through to the quarterfinals.
"We have to congratulate the players for playing well despite being disadvantaged for a long spell. What we have achieved today as a team without football technology is fantastic and I'm proud of each and every one of my players,” said Oktay.
Gor Mahia will go down in history as being the only Kenyan side to reach the last four of the competition.
Hassan Oktay’s men went into the match lying bottom of Group D with six points but the victory moved them to second spot, level on points with Egyptian side Zamalek who top the group.
The draw is set to be conducted on Wednesday.
- Man City overtake Man United as most valuable clubFootball 2 weeks ago
- Do you know Tiger Woods’ girlfriend? Meet the stunning Erica Herman [Photos]Golf 1 month ago
- Solskjaer reacts after painful defeat to BarcelonaFootball 1 month ago
- Football: Griezmann's exit leaves Atletico Madrid lostFootball 4 days ago
- Athlete shocks the world, performs incredible 'Superman dive' to win race [Photos]Athletics 5 days ago
- Manchester United predicted line up for crucial Premier League clash Football 1 month ago
- Is Eden Hazard planning to force move to Real Madrid?Football 1 week ago