Big names left out as Luis Enrique names experimental Spain squad
Spain coach Luis Enrique has dropped Real Madrid midfielder Isco and Atletico Madrid pair Koke and Saul from his squad for the upcoming Euro 2020 qualifiers against Norway and Malta while handing a return to Sevilla veteran Jesus Navas.
Navas, 33, has reinvented himself in the last two campaigns as a right back since returning to Sevilla from Manchester City in 2017 and has earned a first call up to the squad since the 2014 World Cup.
Getafe striker Jaime Mata, who has helped the Madrid side make a push for Champions League qualification, has been included in the Spain squad for the first time, as has Napoli midfielder Fabian Ruiz, Sevilla defender Sergi Gomez and Real Betis midfielder Sergio Canales.
Athletic Bilbao forward Iker Muniain could make his competitive debut for his country, as could Valencia captain Dani Parejo, who has made one friendly appearance for Spain.
Spain open their Euro 2020 qualification campaign at home to Norway in Valencia on March 23, then visiting Malta on March 26.
The full squad list is:
Goalkeepers: Kepa Arrizabalaga, David de Gea, Pau Lopez
Defenders: Jose Luis Gaya, Jordi Alba, Juan Bernat, Mario Hermoso, Inigo Martinez, Sergio Ramos, Sergi Gomez, Sergi Roberto, Jesus Navas
Midfielders: Sergio Busquets, Rodri, Dani Ceballos, Fabian Ruiz, Dani Parejo, Sergio Canales
Forwards: Marco Asensio, Rodrigo Moreno, Alvaro Morata, Iker Muniain, Jaime Mata.
- ‘Equal Pay!’ – American fans demand progress in women’s footballFootball 1 month ago
- AFCON: Maybe this year will be the one – Senegal coachFootball 1 month ago
- Neymar Champions League match ban confirmedFootball 1 month ago
- Uhuru to preside over Safari RallySports 1 month ago
- Kenya taught vital football lesson by SenegalFootball 1 month ago
- Lukaku’s cousin set to help Arsenal land dream target Football 1 month ago
- How South Africa’s Bafana Bafana knocked out AFCON hosts Egypt Football 1 month ago