Eldoret City marathon winners to pocket Sh3.5m
Winners of the second edition of the Eldoret City Marathon will go home with Sh3.5 million up from Sh3 million awarded to gold medallists in last year’s race.
This year’s edition will be on April 21.
Standard Media Group is the major media partner in the race sponsored by Uasin Gishu County government and a host of corporates.
Speaking yesterday during the official launch of the 2019 race, Uasin Gishu Governor Jackson Mandago said the increase in price money will attract more Kenyan elite runners and also marathoners from other countries.
“The $35,000 price money is the highest in African marathons. We aim to rival the London marathon’s $100,000 price money in the next few years, if we get more sponsors,” Mandago said.
Mandago added that Eldoret town has sufficient accommodation facilities to host thousands of athletics fans and runners expected in the April race.
He said the county and race partners are encouraging corporates to sponsor more runners in the five kilometer fun race.
“From the 2020 edition, we will be organising tourist visits for race participants to Lake Turkana and many other tourist destinations in West Pokot, Baringo and Elgeyo Marakwet counties,” he said.
- Manchester United superstars in rift over scoring bonusesFootball 1 week ago
- Champions League: Kenyans should enjoy the final – GomezFootball 2 days ago
- Diego Maradona’s daughter 'walked in on him taking drugs'Football 1 month ago
- Schwarzenegger has revealed why he was attacked with flying kick in South Africa Sports 5 days ago
- Arsenal’s new Adidas pre-match kit leaked [Photos]Football 3 weeks ago
- Athletics: Stars gear up for World Relays trialsAthletics 1 month ago
- Arsenal manager reveals why they were beaten by WolvesFootball 4 weeks ago