Eldoret City marathon winners to pocket Sh3.5m
Winners of the second edition of the Eldoret City Marathon will go home with Sh3.5 million up from Sh3 million awarded to gold medallists in last year’s race.
This year’s edition will be on April 21.
Standard Media Group is the major media partner in the race sponsored by Uasin Gishu County government and a host of corporates.
Speaking yesterday during the official launch of the 2019 race, Uasin Gishu Governor Jackson Mandago said the increase in price money will attract more Kenyan elite runners and also marathoners from other countries.
“The $35,000 price money is the highest in African marathons. We aim to rival the London marathon’s $100,000 price money in the next few years, if we get more sponsors,” Mandago said.
Mandago added that Eldoret town has sufficient accommodation facilities to host thousands of athletics fans and runners expected in the April race.
He said the county and race partners are encouraging corporates to sponsor more runners in the five kilometer fun race.
“From the 2020 edition, we will be organising tourist visits for race participants to Lake Turkana and many other tourist destinations in West Pokot, Baringo and Elgeyo Marakwet counties,” he said.
- Manchester duo, Liverpool and rest of 'Big Six' accused of 'ruining’ Premier LeaguePremier League 2 months ago
- Messi’s long wait for Argentina glory drags onFootball 1 month ago
- ‘New signing’ Victor Wanyama set to stay at Tottenham despite Ndombele ArrivalFootball 1 month ago
- BREAKING: PSG confirm Neymar has gone absent without leave after failing to show up for pre-seasonFootball 1 month ago
- IDPA Expert shooter Onyango set for MagTech Cup in HungarySports 1 month ago
- Neymar's dad makes shock admission over PSG superstar's return to BarcelonaFootball 1 month ago
- Zaha sends powerful message to fans on joining ArsenalFootball 1 month ago