Real Madrid suffer biggest home defeat in Europe with 3-0 loss to CSKA Moscow
CSKA Moscow secured a superb 3-0 win away to the already-qualified Real Madrid in the Champions League on Wednesday but the Russian side were still pipped to a Europa League spot by Viktoria Plzen.
Feder Chalov put CSKA in front against the Group G winners and triple Champions League holders with a curling shot in the 37th minute and Georgi Shchennikov doubled the visitors’ advantage at the Santiago Bernabeu two minutes before halftime with a scrappy volley on the rebound.
Iceland international Arnor Sigurdsson struck a remarkable third goal for the Russians in the 73rd minute, completing an unlikely second victory for CSKA over Madrid in this Champions League campaign.
They also won 1-0 in the Russian capital in October when Julen Lopetegui was in charge of the Spaniards.
Moscow’s only two wins in the competition this season have come against the 13-times winners and they finished bottom of the group on seven points due to their inferior head-to-head record against Plzen, who beat AS Roma 2-1.
Real, who were already guaranteed top spot, remained on 12 points while Roma, who had clinched second place in the group, ended on nine.
- Boateng to throw a party if Bayern Munich beat DortmundFootball 1 month ago
- Blow to Liverpool as superstar injured during Barcelona thrashingFootball 1 week ago
- Arsenal-mad dad puts up Sh340,000 for hypnotist to cure son of supporting TottenhamGossip & Rumours 1 month ago
- Pogba drops Man United bombshell hours before crucial derbyFootball 3 weeks ago
- Devils turned snakes: Fans not happy with Manchester United’s new away kit design [photos]Football 2 days ago
- Why Salah is the reason Man City will win Premier LeaguePremier League 1 month ago
- Napoli draw puts Juventus coronation on holdFootball 1 month ago