Rugby: Oilers ready for Kenya Cup debut
Ahead of his side’s first season in the Kenya Cup, Menengai Oilers head coach Gibson Weru is optimistic that his charges will give a good account of themselves when the 2018-19 season gets underway today.
The Nakuru-based club, which qualified to the top-tier after a second place finish in last season’s Kenya Rugby Union Championship league launch their campaign against defending champions Kenya Commercial Bank (KCB) at the RFUEA grounds.
The match, set to kick off at 4pm will be preceded by the clash pitting Homeboyz against Nondescript.
“Facing KCB in our first match will be a very good challenge because they are a top side with seasoned players.The boys are really excited about making their top flight debut. Some young players have joined us from schools and we hope to start the season on a positive note,” Weru told The Standard Sports.
Asked on his target for the season, the former Kenya Sevens international said: “I will be satisfied if we end the season anywhere in the top seven but our prime target is to first survive.”
Other matches scheduled for today will see 2016 champions Kabras Sugar host Mean Machine as Impala Saracens and Kenyatta University’s Blak Blad lock horns at the Impala Club. [Clement Wekulo]
- Premier League referee spotted going crazy supporting his team [Photos]Football 1 month ago
- Does superstition exist in German football?Football 2 months ago
- Arsenal fans set internet ablaze with 'excuses' after embarrassing defeat to ChelseaFootball 4 weeks ago
- 7 Days to GO! Good news for Harambee Stars in latest FIFA rankingsFootball 1 week ago
- Photos: Ronaldo fans mock Messi after Barcelona beatingFootball 1 month ago
- Taekwondo: KDF win Chairman’s Cup Sports 2 months ago
- Malaysian golfer dies in hotel roomGolf 2 months ago