Rugby: Oilers ready for Kenya Cup debut
Ahead of his side’s first season in the Kenya Cup, Menengai Oilers head coach Gibson Weru is optimistic that his charges will give a good account of themselves when the 2018-19 season gets underway today.
The Nakuru-based club, which qualified to the top-tier after a second place finish in last season’s Kenya Rugby Union Championship league launch their campaign against defending champions Kenya Commercial Bank (KCB) at the RFUEA grounds.
The match, set to kick off at 4pm will be preceded by the clash pitting Homeboyz against Nondescript.
“Facing KCB in our first match will be a very good challenge because they are a top side with seasoned players.The boys are really excited about making their top flight debut. Some young players have joined us from schools and we hope to start the season on a positive note,” Weru told The Standard Sports.
Asked on his target for the season, the former Kenya Sevens international said: “I will be satisfied if we end the season anywhere in the top seven but our prime target is to first survive.”
Other matches scheduled for today will see 2016 champions Kabras Sugar host Mean Machine as Impala Saracens and Kenyatta University’s Blak Blad lock horns at the Impala Club. [Clement Wekulo]
- Gor Mahia out to dim New StarFootball 1 month ago
- Ole Gunnar reveals why he’s worried about PSG tonight at 11pm Football 1 week ago
- Think you can fight Anthony Joshua? You have 10 days Boxing 1 month ago
- Former Prime Minister Raila Odinga “is fine” after appearing unsteady on a podiumFootball 3 weeks ago
- David Luiz sends powerful message to Sarri about 6-0 defeat at Man City last weekendFootball 6 days ago
- Chelsea eyeing Zinedine Zidane as next managerGossip & Rumours 1 week ago
- Sala’s dog still patiently waiting for the striker to come home, his sister shares a heartbreaking photo Football 2 weeks ago