Real Madrid 'offer to double Mauricio Pochettino's money' as Roberto Martinez emerges as serious candidate
Real Madrid have reportedly offered to double Mauricio Pochettino's money to lure him to the Bernabeu from Tottenham.
Los Blancos are looking for a new boss after sacking Julen Lopetegui after only 16 games following their 5-1 humbling at the hands of Barcelona at the Nou Camp.
The Clasico drubbing left Real ninth in La Liga, having won just four of their opening 10 fixtures, and already seven points off the title pace.
Pochettino has admitted his frustrations after Spurs failed to land a single signing over the summer, and saw his side lose at home against Manchester City on Monday night.
The Argentine has long been on Real's wishlist and they are ready to double his current salary in order to seal the deal, according to The Sun.
Bernabeu chiefs are reportedly willing to offer him an eye-watering £85million, five-year contract to reverse their fortunes after Zinedine Zidane left in the summer.
Zidane had won three Champions League titles in four years before departing, and Cristiano Ronaldo also left to join Juventus.
A deal to take Pochettino the Spanish capital in mid-season could be tricky, but Florentino Perez is seemingly willing to wait until next summer if required.
Real would need to pay compensation to Spurs as Pochettino has only recently penned a new contract.
Meanwhile, Belgium boss and former Everton manager Roberto Martinez has emerged as a serious candidate for the job.
Spanish outlet Marca say the Spaniard is in Real's thinking, along with current caretaker boss Santiago Solari.
They had planned on appointing former Chelsea manager Antonio Conte, but the deal has become complicated due to a deadlock in negotiations between the two parties.
Martinez, who also coached Swansea and Wigan in the UK, was sacked by Everton in 2016 and led Belgium to the World Cup semi-finals in Russia.
- Gor eager to dim New Stars: Kenyan champions need to be at their best as they face New Stars of CameroonFootball 9 hours ago
- Mathare back to the top after five-goal thrillerFootball 9 hours ago
- Dennis the Menace is backFootball 9 hours ago
- Serena Williams ‘Woman’ of The Year GQ cover sparks controversyTennis 2 months ago
- Arsenal 'close' to signing Barcelona star Football 1 week ago
- Broke Gor Mahia coach Kerr jogged from Kileleshwa to Jericho for trainingFootball 1 month ago
- ‘Play or stay at home’ – Mourinho issues tough warning to Man United playersPremier League 1 month ago