France 2-1 Germany: Antoine Griezmann proves the difference in UEFA Nations League clash - 5 talking points
Antoine Griezmann proved the difference as France dusted themselves down after a poor first-half display to defeat Germany 2-1 in their UEFA Nations League encounter in Paris.
Under-pressure Germany boss Joachim Loew - facing increased scrutiny after the 3-0 weekend hammering by Holland - shuffled his pack and started with a back five in the Stade de France.
And Die Mannschaft looked more resolute than at any time in the last 12 months during a first-half when they deservedly took the lead through Real Madrid midfielder Toni Kroos.
Paul Pogba was robbed on the halfway line by Joshua Kimmich, Germany broke quickly and Leroy Sane won a penalty when his cross hit the hand of the sliding Presnel Kimpembe; Kroos stepped up and edged it past the despairing dive of Huge Lloris.
But the World Cup winners rolled up their sleeves in the second half - no doubt after a half-time shellacking from Didier Deschamps - and came from behind to win thanks to a brace from Griezmann.
After 62 minutes he met Lucas Hernandez's cross with a wonderful glancing header to leave Manuel Neuer with no chance.
And he tucked home a controversial penalty 10 minutes from time, sending Neuer the wrong way after Mats Hummels had been adjudged to have brought down Blaise Matuidi - despite the France midfielder appearing to stand on the Bayern man.
After Griezmann's double, and despite an improved first-half display, the pressure will further rise on Loew, whose side have now won just three of their last 13 matches and have just one competitive victory in 2018.
Germany now face the very real prospect of relegation from Group 1 of the UEFA Nations League, unless they see off Holland in Gelsenkirchen next month.
- UCL: Barcelona on different level to United – DeulofeuFootball 1 month ago
- Man Utd fans name and shame three players they want soldPremier League 6 days ago
- Part Emery played in Tottenham reaching Champions League finalFootball 1 week ago
- Video: Mo Farah struggles on treadmill ahead of London MarathonAthletics 3 weeks ago
- Paul Pogba and Romelu Lukaku to leave Man UnitedFootball 2 weeks ago
- ‘Floyd will return soon’ says fatherBoxing 1 month ago
- Lukaku’s mother star-struck at Old Trafford after meeting Lionel Messi [photos]Football 1 month ago